No announcement yet.

Snake in the blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was sitting a ground blind last season, watching deer 30 yards in front of me and heard something behind me. This particular blinds frame is built from sheet metal studs. What I was hearing was the underbelly scales scraping the metal stud across the bottom of the door frame. I was hunting with a crossbow. I turned to find a rattler coming in to hunt my blind with me. Didn’t want to hunt alone I guess. I poked at him with the crossbow and he pulled back just outside the door and just stared at me. Never rattled. Deer in the field in front of me weren’t shooters and I really didn’t want to take my eyes off the rattler for too long so I finally made the decision to pull my sidearm and popped him in the head. Needless to say, hunt was over cause I cleared the field and it was about 20 minutes from last shooting light.

Comment

I used to handgun hunt sitting flat on the ground in natural blinds. Well until a 3ft rattler ended up right by my thigh. I actually put my hand on it to shift my weight. Needless to say, I broke the new high jump record from a seated position!

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a 3 1/2’ rattler come into a ground blind while Turkey hunting once. I was working a gobbler, and didn’t want to spook it. Killed the snake with my shotgun barrel to the head, and ended up shooting the gobbler with the headless snake coiled around my boots rattling.

Comment

It’s happened a couple of times. They were both non venomous and I just let them stay. If they had been venomous then I would have pinned them down and relieved them of their heads. No muss no fuss and quiet. Just keep on hunting.

Comment

Copperhead did a little cotton eye joe on it

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

The only thing in the world I am scared of is a snake. My ground blind has a zippered floor.

Comment

I was sitting on the ground with my back against a tree and my legs crossed watching a deer trail and fell asleep. I woke up some time later with a coral snake coiled up between my legs only an inch or two from my fingers.

Comment

There would have not been deer or pig close, after I got done screaming like little girl!

Comment

I used to worry about rattlers when I hunted near Ballinger, but none ever got in my blind. You can bet I checked it out with a light each time I got in it before daylight !

Comment

Replaced my pop up blind this year with a new fiberglass blind with a floor and door.
                      Can't deal with no snakes!!!

Comment

With pop-ups just shovel dirt around the bottom inside and outside. Doing this I never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcat91 View Post

Antelope hunting in Colorado this year. My brother took a nap, and woke up to little buddy in the blind with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Any guesses on your brother’s heart rate about 3 seconds after waking up?

Comment

Dang! They say snakes wont bother you if you don't bother them but this thread proves snakes b messing around sans provocation

Comment

Originally posted by JohnAGarrett View Post
                              I had that happen a few years back. I kept hearing scurrying in the dark. I thought the grasshoppers were in there. Turned on the flashlight to check and saw 5 juvenile rat snakes crawling around. I jumped up and nearly made my blind into a dress. I grabbed my back pack off the ground and hauled out of there. Got home and had a rat snake in my back pack. My wife flipped out. Now I check every time I get into the blind and never leave my pack on the ground. I HATE SNAKES!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Funny story John. Does your lovely wife now make you unpack all your hunting gear out in the yard before bringing it inside? Bless her heart, I’m 100% with her, there are no “backpack snakes” ever allowed in the house.

Comment

I have not had any type of snake encounter in a blind. But I have heard of it numerous times, in elevated box blinds. Multiple times I have heard of guys climb into their blind in the dark, then somehow figured out there is a rattler in the blind. The theory is some type of bird, owl or hawk picked up the snake and dropped it in the blind and did not eat it.

Then I know my uncle, was climbing down out of his blind, as he was about to step on the ground, he saw a rattler wrapped around the base of the ladder. He shot it with his deer rifle. I think it was close to 7'.

Never had one in a ground blind, nor heard of anyone having any kind of snake in a ground blind.

Comment

Working...
                                X