2021 Handgun Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread!

My uncle and cousin were bummed when dad had me take his Ruger Single Six and Colt Woodsman from the Iowa farm a few years back. They always used them for rabbit hunting.

Comment

Gonna jump onto the handgun hunting train this season. Just picked this S&W 629 Performance Center yesterday.
      Attached Files

Comment

Now I'm excited!! I was bummed because I haven't been able to shoot my bow or rifle offhand and now with my shoulder replacement surgery on Sept. 30th thought I was going to miss another year. Looks like I'll be combing the classified more thoroughly here in the next couple of weeks. I've got several rifles or pistols I can use as trade bait as well.

Comment

That is a sexy 629!!!

Comment

Think I might try my dads (passed down to me) Ruger Blackhawk, .357 mag. It has a 2x Burris. Just gotta find some 158 jhp loads.

Comment

This is my Blackhawk. .41 magnum. I’m going to use it for handgun hunting this year.

I’m using a hand load that consists of 20 gns of Winchester 296 and the Speer 210 gn Deep Curl bullet.

I’m hoping to zip one thru a hogs head to see just how deep the curl will go. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post

This is my Blackhawk. .41 magnum. I’m going to use it for handgun hunting this year.

I’m using a hand load that consists of 20 gns of Winchester 296 and the Speer 210 gn Deep Curl bullet.

I’m hoping to zip one thru a hogs head to see just how deep the curl will go. [emoji16]

Awesome, I’ll be interested to see the result. I have the same pistol.

Comment

Let’s talk killing power of 44 magnum and what projectile and velocity is needed to make good fast clean kills.

I just sent a contender barrel to get threaded it was magna ported so he will have to probably cut 1-1.5” off should leave me with a barrel between 7.5-8” I assume that’s more than enough to get a 240gr XTP zipping along.

Also I plan on shooting some really quiet 44special loads through this with my suppressor attached, is it crazy to try and make a kill inside 50 yards in that configuration?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                    Let’s talk killing power of 44 magnum and what projectile and velocity is needed to make good fast clean kills.

I just sent a contender barrel to get threaded it was magna ported so he will have to probably cut 1-1.5” off should leave me with a barrel between 7.5-8” I assume that’s more than enough to get a 240gr XTP zipping along.

Also I plan on shooting some really quiet 44special loads through this with my suppressor attached, is it crazy to try and make a kill inside 50 yards in that configuration?
                    That is plenty of barrel to get the 240 moving.

Instead of using 44 special with the suppressor, use 44 mag with about a 300 grain wfn lead loaded subsonic, you will like it better

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                      That is plenty of barrel to get the 240 moving.

Instead of using 44 special with the suppressor, use 44 mag with about a 300 grain wfn lead loaded subsonic, you will like it better

Thanks for the tip I’ll keep my eyes open for some!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I assume you’re talking deer/hogs. And that will be a chip shot with your set up. Even with special loads. I doubt you’ll ever recover a bullet unless it’s a big hog, hit square on the armor plate.

Also, I’ve had Ken Kelly do some work for me on a revolver. Absolutely top notch guy and company. You won’t be disappointed.

Best of luck this season.

Comment

Shot the pig during the ice storm. Used my XDM carry gun 40 s&w 180 grain xtps @ 1180 fps

Shot the doe last year with a bfr in 475 linebaugh. Was using 480 Ruger loads with a 325 grain lead wfn I cast. Seems like it is about 1450 fps, but I can't remember now for sure
                          Attached Files

Comment

In for answers. Planning on using 225 gr.FTX factories out of an 8 3/8” ported barrel.

Comment

My load for my 44 is just below book max of H110 pushing XTPs fairly fast. H110 is an excellent powder for this caliber but take caution on reduced loads. You need to keep the cases full/almost full with this powder. If anyone ever wants to discuss offline, please pm me and we can exchange cell numbers. I’m no expert but am a dedicated handgun hunter with over 20 years doing it. More than happy to talk through past experiences, if you want it.

Comment

This is a old pic I just ran across on my phone thought I would share
                                2015 plains Tx
                                7mm-08
                                TC encore
                                135 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X