No announcement yet.

Vinyl Plank or Engineered Hardwood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the vinyl plank club. Go with the higher end stuff. I put it in my own house when built and its all I'll ever put in rental property. For all the reasons already said.

Comment

Here’s my VP right after it was put down. It looks ok I guess, but I had to start wearing old man slippers because it’s rough on the feet. Also if you drop a piece of firewood on it it’ll dent the **** out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I put VP in my rental home. Renters had it tore up in a few years. Replaced with tile and good to go since. As mentioned above the VP seems to not take abuse, kids, dogs, dropping items very well. Or that was my experience. There is a TBHer on here. I will look up his name. I believe he is around the Austin area that sells, installs flooring. He help me via messaging on advice for installation of VP in my camper.

Comment

I would choose the wood. Vinyl is cold in the winter and it looks like vinyl.

Comment

We just put down Vinyl Plank with the padding / backing upstairs and on our stair case. We are very happy with the look and the feel. We have a big lab and that was a big factor in our decision.

Last edited by Heath; 04-27-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

just had to replace all the flooring on our first floor due to damage after the freeze and we went with vinyl plank for the entire first floor except the master bath and it turned out very nice. for the price i think it's tough to beat.

Comment

Getting vinyl plank installed this week and I went with the higher end stuff. My reasons are the same that everyone posted above.

Comment

We have been very happy with the lifeproof vinyl panels we have been putting in all of our houses. I hate wood floors in houses, if it gets wet it will ruin it. We have been slowly redoing the house with the lifeproof floors and it is holding up great in the guest room and in the kids room so far. And doing great in the 4 rent houses we have put it down in.

Comment

If you go LVP, be sure and check the wear layer thickness compared to others. The thicker the better.

Comment

I replaced the vinyl flooring on our entrance/mud room and our main bedroom with the VP that has the pad underneath. It looks great and holds up real well. Obviously the entrance gets a lot of traffic, the VP still looks new after several years down. Got it at Sam's Club, can't remember the name. Wish I had bought more to do two more rooms/closets.
                      Last edited by tdwinklr; 06-11-2021, 04:57 AM.

Comment

We had to replace the entire wood floor in our house from a dishwasher leak. Insurance covered everything except the deductible but we still had to go through the hassle, moving furniture out/around, and move out for a week! If we would of had vinyl we wouldn't of had to replace the floor. We also have 4 boys that are constantly dropping stuff and knocking stuff over so we don't have to worry about them denting/scuffing it all up.

Comment

We put LVP in our new house at the ranch. We put in the higher end stuff, it was actually more expensive than wood. The casual observer cannot tell it is not wood.

Comment

We had some VP in our old house and loved it. Put same stuff in the new house. And love the durability and not as loud or cold as tile.
                            We have large dogs and rocks/gravel. Not a problem.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde12 View Post
                              I would look at the higher end vinyl planks that have a pre-attached pad on the back. It will give you the durability of the vinyl plank but will also be much more comfortable under foot.
                              This is what I did. I got something higher end that had significant variation from piece to piece with the pad pre-installed. It has fairly deep grain and texture similar to hand-scraped but not as deep. It is very comfortable to walk on and has a commercial ceramic coating on it that is really resistant to scratching. When the appraiser came to the house for our refi, they took pictures inside and he wrote on the appraisal, "Hardwood Floor", as it's really hard to tell the difference. It was about $4/square cost for the material. I laid it myself and did the entire house with no seams anywhere - even from room to room.

We have two dogs and a kid in a wheelchair. When it is raining we just throw a towel at the front door and get what we can but don't stress out over muddy paws or dirty wheelchair wheels.

Don't knock LVP until you have looked at some of the higher end stuff.

Comment

I have engineered wood on my stairs and never again. This crap chips so easily its ridiculous,

Comment

Working...
                                X