2021 Hagerman Hog Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
    I've stopped using lead broadheads and have switched to steel. I'm worried about penetration though, especially at distances over 30 yards...

Looking forward to this hunt. If I were you I'd go through your vehicle and bags with a fine tooth comb. I've heard horror stories of people with a few corn kernels stuck in the pickup bed getting a ticket. I know I've got some squirrel loads in the camper.
    I had a full bag of corn (unopened, from the weekend before leftover after feeders were filled) at the hagerman deer hunt. Shot a buck and brought the deer to check in and they did not care for that at all. No ticket or trouble, but I did get a side eye and a few questions. If it had been opened, I think an accusation may have been made. I hadn't given it a second thought because I often drive around with a bag or two of corn in the bed.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

The folks at Hagerman are pretty easy-going, the asst manager as well as the guys that run the shop are good judges of humanity, do right- and it will be fine, do wrong and you may have issues.

Comment

Good to know. Most of the managers I've run into are good. It's the federal game wardens that have a reputation. But, I suspect they see a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
          Good to know. Most of the managers I've run into are good. It's the federal game wardens that have a reputation. But, I suspect they see a lot.
          One in particular for sure, the one I am thinking about is as crooked as they come

Comment

Went stomping around out there yesterday for the first time. Entered around the Meadow Pond Trail and went about a mile into the jungle near but not on the creek. It was thick and everything was dead. I'm have no idea how one should put on a stalk. I felt like I sounded like a commercial excavator moving every step in there. Not surprised I didn't see much but did scare a bunch of mallards in a small pond which I would have love to have seen on my duck hunt the day before.

Comment

Did some stomping myself the other day, anyone else ever found the cemetery in Goode?

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                Did some stomping myself the other day, anyone else ever found the cemetery in Goode?
                Only cemetery I'm aware of borders Goode. Pics?

Comment

Lots of pigs in there even after the helo eradication. They don't come close to getting them all.

Comment

Originally posted by fakeworest View Post
                    Went stomping around out there yesterday for the first time. Entered around the Meadow Pond Trail and went about a mile into the jungle near but not on the creek. It was thick and everything was dead. I'm have no idea how one should put on a stalk. I felt like I sounded like a commercial excavator moving every step in there. Not surprised I didn't see much but did scare a bunch of mallards in a small pond which I would have love to have seen on my duck hunt the day before.

I sneak/spot & stalk pigs with bow on public all the time. I don’t kill nearly as many as I’d like, but it’s usually not too tough to get into archery range once you find them. The biggest thing is the wind. Keep it in your favor and you might be surprised what you can get away with.

If they are feeding they tend to make a bunch of noise and aren’t anything like as spooky as a whitetail. If they are bedded you might have to be more sneaky, but archery range is doable. The thick stuff you find them in presents real problems with archery shots. While scouting for the deer hunt I got within 25 yards of multiple pig groups, and one sow was leading her brood right toward me before she took a different trail at around 3-4 yards.

I’m still holding out a bit of hope to find some non-toxic buck shot, but if bit my group will just tote out bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The way I read it we don't have an orientation. Just be there after start time on first day and hunt away. Anybody have anything different?

Comment

No orientation, but the email I received said check in/out is through an app.

From the email:
                        "Due to COVID, check-in, check-out, and reporting of hogs taken will be done electronically through an app called GroupMe. You can download the app at www . groupme . com, or find it on the app store. It is free and will be a closed group specific only to your hunt segment then deleted the following day."

Comment

Originally posted by Scoutdog View Post
                          No orientation, but the email I received said check in/out is through an app.

From the email:
                          "Due to COVID, check-in, check-out, and reporting of hogs taken will be done electronically through an app called GroupMe. You can download the app at www . groupme . com, or find it on the app store. It is free and will be a closed group specific only to your hunt segment then deleted the following day."
                          GroupMe seemed to work well during the deer hunts. I used it on a laptop (at the checkstation) as I couldn't access the app store on my old iPhone5.

Comment

Y’all check your email for some good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I missed the email. Still not going back to lead broadheads though.

Comment

For the shotgun hunters using shot, TSS is some bad to the bone shot, if you can find some large enough. I'd suggest #2, or larger if you can find it. Almost twice the density/weight of lead. Also very expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X