Florida Sambar Deer Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida Sambar Deer Hunt

So, my brother and a buddy (uttlc) were just drawn for the Florida Sambar Deer hunt on St. Vincent Island this fall. Has anybody ever done this hunt before, or know anybody that has? There's not a lot of information out there about it, so we're trying to do as much research as we can to get everything together.

From what I can gather, it is a bow or muzzleloader only hunt. We have to ferry from the mainland and camp on the island for the duration of the hunt. Everything we need must be brought in, so it should be pretty interesting. Looking forward to it for sure, but not really sure what to expect.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Chris

Looks like fun trip. Are there multiple dates where they run hunters in there during the season? Take a kayak and get some good fishing in too.

Comment

No help here, but I read a article about hunting Sambar there several years back and did research after. What a awesome hunt to be drawn for! Good luck to your brother and buddy. Post pics if they get on some.

Comment

That’s awesome! Gonna have to look into that!

Comment

No help, but I'm tagging the thread for updates. That looks awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
            No help, but I'm tagging the thread for updates. That looks awesome!
            Same. Had no idea this hunt existed.

Comment

Originally posted by ostey22 View Post
              Good luck to your brother and buddy. Post pics if they get on some.
              And me! Should have included myself in the initial post, the three of us were drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                And me! Should have included myself in the initial post, the three of us were drawn.
                Good deal!! It might be the first TBH Florida Sambar hunt.

Comment

Awesome!! Sounds like a great time. Take lots of pics for us please!! Will b following along for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                    I'm going to need all the luck I can get!

Comment

Wow big critters.
                      A buddy was a scout leader and took his troop to an island off Florida to a game reserve that has tiny deer. At the orientation they explained if they were quiet and patient they might see a few deer. The next morning they woke up to deer in their sleeping bags. These little guys had the dance down. They loved granola bars and popcorn...........

Comment

Sounds like an adventure after reading some of the stories I found on google.

Be safe.

Comment

A guy on a other forum got drawn for that hunt and be said guys brought bicycles with them to cover more ground and to get to and from their stands quicker.

Comment

Just checked our groups status. We did not get drawn. They have Topo maps available. Plan on bringing a bicycle for transportation to and from campsite. The staff will transport any killed game you just have to get it to one of the roads that cross the island. Most hunt out of a climber or lock on stand with sticks. I will look back at my emails from the staff there. I will pm you with the staff contact information.Good luck on hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                              Just checked our groups status. We did not get drawn. They have Topo maps available. Plan on bringing a bicycle for transportation to and from campsite. The staff will transport any killed game you just have to get it to one of the roads that cross the island. Most hunt out of a climber or lock on stand with sticks. I will look back at my emails from the staff there. I will pm you with the staff contact information.Good luck on hunt.
                              Thanks! I saw people discussing run and gun setups with the climbers and using the bikes to get around. Really looking forward to this!

Comment

Working...
                              X