Best option for money while working out of town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best option for money while working out of town

Hey guys wanted to hear opinions on what yall use when out of town working. My son is going to be working out of state for the summer. He has a debit card and checking account that his check will be deposited into. I'm just worry that something might happen and get his bank account drained before he finds out. I don't want him getting a regular credit card but is prepaid the way to go? Thanks.

A regular credit card is the way to go. It will make him responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
      A regular credit card is the way to go. It will make him responsible.
      ..or it could ruin his life for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Peta-hata View Post
        ..or it could ruin his life for a while.
        He will grow out of that ruined life, only takes 7 years. Ask me how I know.

Comment

I traveled for years using my debit card. We have lots of employees who use their debit card on the road. Never been a hitch. Always a possibility, but no more likely than using it at home. If anything, let the bank know he will be traveling. If it's a good bank, thy will shut his card off on the first transaction he makes in an "off" location. My bank finally figured it out after I called them a couple of times and never had a problem after that. Depending on his age and his responsibility, I don't know that a credit card would be wise. The only reason I would have a credit card in his shoes is if there was some sort of emergency and he didn't have the funds to pay for something.
          Last edited by Sleepy; 06-04-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Low limit CC for emergency only? Even if he maxed it out it would be easy enough to pay off. Say $200 limit?

Comment

I know I don't want him to have regular cc. He is going to be making very good money for a 20 year old. I mean over 2000 a week and just worried something will happens and get his account drained. I was thinking about a prepaid cc that way if something happens he would only be out what is on that card. I could reload it from the house from his account so he can pay for room and meals.

Comment

Whats he doing for work

Comment

Just my opinion, but if he's 20 years old, then why are you still making his decisions? My 23 and 18 year old both have their own accounts and handle their own business. I understand worrying about them, but you have to let them grow up at some point...

Again, that's just my opinion, but you can take my opinion and $2.00 and buy a soda.

Comment

2G's a week after taxes is a hell of a gig for a 20 yo. Is he moving weight?

Comment

If he's old enough to leave home and work for a living, he's plenty old enough to take care of his own money. He'll make mistakes if he's like all the rest of us, but he'll learn from them. If he doesn't get to take care of his own business, he won't be learning anything.

Comment

He is still under my roof and in college and I want to see that he finishes college and not make bad decisions like most of us.

Comment

Youve got to let go of his hand sooner or later. Whether you choose to accept it or not, you are putting him at a disadvantage by holding on longer.

Comment

You're just looking out for his best interests. No question about that. Unless he's just really irresponsible, he'll be fine with is debit card. If he doesn't have one already, have him open a savings account at the bank to transfer extra money into every pay day. Don't let the bank tie the savings account to the checking account for overdraft protection. If he can keep up with his debit card and his bank balance, he'll be fine.

Comment

Let him expand his wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X