Help...Cunudrum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
    I happen to believe that Jesus was 100% God (in addition to becoming 100% man). Since Jesus refers to the creation of Adam and Eve (Matthew 19:4-6), I think Jesus knew it to be true, not a 'story' to placate people.
    I did not mean to imply that, by calling the creation story "just a story," that it was to be used to placate people or to be without meaning or even truth. But to treat it as the first chapter in a history book of facts...I don't believe that was ever its intent.

I happen to agree with you that when God refers to Godself in the plural form in Genesis 1, that Jesus was also there with the Father and the Spirit. Mysterious and awesome.

When the Pharisees came at Jesus trying to trick him with a question about the law (the Torah), Jesus answered them in Torah terms, reminding them of God's design and hope that humankind would treat each other with kindness and love instead of finding any reason to kick their wife to the curb, basically causing her to become an outcast and beggar.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
      so a theory is not a fact,,

how can a half life be proven without a whole life being known?
      Seems you're not familiar with radioactive decay and what half life means.

feel free to read up:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_decay

Comment

To the OP, my advice to your question about talking with your son, is similar to what others have said.

Scripture isn't God's attempt to explain to us everything about everything; Scripture is (one of) God's merciful way to connect with the most important part of Creation = us! It's so we can know God's story, and also come to realize that WE are also part of God's story, and to decide to serve and follow and love God back by loving and serving others. The Bible doesn't talk about air conditioning, cars, planes, or the internet, but they exist, right? So maybe let's let the Bible be God's message of love to us, and not an all-in-one science/history/language/DIY carpentry book and the source for every question we'll ever have, hmm?

Again, this is a response crafted for a child with questions, not to anyone on this great online forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
          Thats the problem. On the surface most people say if you don't believe in evolution you're not agreeing with science. It's because the Christian community has taken this absolute WE BELIEVE FAITH OVER SCIENCE mentality, rather than taking to task to give a scientific founding for your own beliefs. That's why I mentioned my resources, as it doesn'thave tobe faith OR science. There are some folks who have done the work there. Its like someone telling you 2+2=5 and the vhurch just saying we believe it's really 4!Can't say why exactly but t is! That'd be ridiculous until someone logically showed 2+2=4.
          Evolution is every bit as much faith based as it has some scientific founding.
          Micro is a fact, no faith needed. Macro is where the faith comes in. 99% of the people who argue against evolution don't even understand this .
          Also, there is a lot more than just the Dinosaurs, to argue the fact that the earth is older than 6000 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
            That is why evolution is a theory. ( as is creation )
            You're conflating "scientific theory" with the everyday use of "theory". The everyday word "theory" means conjecture, or hypothesis, or pulled from one's rear. In simple terms, a "scientific theory" is a well substantiated explanation of facts, or best working model. Scientific theories have empirical data to back them up, and when possible are updated to give better explanations.

Creationism, on the other hand, is not a scientific theory.
            Last edited by sir shovelhands; 05-17-2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
              Sorry to disappoint you but radiocarbon is not a theory it is a tool that can help to determine the age of fossils but it can only be used to date fossils to about 70,000 years ago. But there is another method called potassium-argon (K-Ar) method that can date rocks into the billions of years. There are several radiometric methods that can be used to date rocks or strata. And yes I believe in God.
              You must be pretty darn old brother if you've taken this to 'fact'. God could have just made things that measure old .
              Fact is unless there is a 60 million year old laboratory it would be impossible to call carbon dating fact

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                You're conflating "scientific theory" with the everyday use of "theory". The everyday word "theory" means conjecture, or hypothesis, or pulled from one's rear. In simple terms, a "scientific theory" is a well substantiated explanation of facts, or best working model. Scientific theories have empirical data to back them up, and when possible are updated to give better explanations.

Creationism, on the other hand, is not a scientific theory.
                I'll concede on a technicality. I should have used the words "intelligent design" rather than creationism.

Comment

What difference does it make how old a bunch of petrified bones are?

Comment

The world

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    Easiest answer to your boy is " Let's go ask Father at church and we will find out".
                    I disagree with this comment because the father is just another man that may just be spouting what he has been taught through one of the thousands of denominations in this world when GOD only meant for there to be one! AND what does it say about a religion that turns children into saints "just another idol." But that religion is full of idols anyway. The only Father is Jesus Christ our father!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat70 View Post
                      AND what does it say about a religion that turns children into saints "just another idol." But that religion is full of idols anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                        Seems you're not familiar with radioactive decay and what half life means.

feel free to read up:
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_decay
                        so you can not answer the simple question I asked?

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                          I think they were on the boat 370 days.
                          How many is they? Human
                          How many of each KIND of animal?
                          Noah, his wife, three(?) sons and their wives and two of each living creature. I may be off on how many kids he had.

Honestly, it would do me some good to go back through and read some more but i believe there were 8 total humans on board
                          Last edited by bloodstick; 05-17-2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                            Noah, his wife, three(?) sons and their wives and two of each living creature. I may be off on how many kids he had.

Honestly, it would do me some good to go back through and read some more but i believe there were 8 total humans on board

There was 8 people
                            Noah, his wife and there 3 sons and their wives.
                            Genesis 7:1-6 (NKJV)
                            Chapter 7
                            The Great Flood
                            1 Then the Lord said to Noah, “Come into the ark, you and all your household, because I have seen that you are righteous before Me in this generation.
                            2 You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female;
                            3 also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth.
                            4 For after seven more days I will cause it to rain on the earth forty days and forty nights, and I will destroy from the face of the earth all living things that I have made.”
                            5 And Noah did according to all that the Lord commanded him.
                            6 Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters were on the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                              so you can not answer the simple question I asked?
                              The links I posted were supposed to help you understand why your question doesn't make sense; you don't know what half life means.

By using the term "whole life", you assume half life means half the time it takes for a radioactive material to completely decay. It does not. It is the average time it takes for a radioactive material to decay by half.

To give a simple example: if I have 10 grams of radioactive isotope X with a half life of 100 years. I can expect to have 5 grams after 100 years, 2.5 grams after another 100 years, 1.25 grams after another 100 years and so on...

As you can see, the half life is constant, whereas the time it would take for an entire sample of radioactive material to completely decay (whole life) is dependent upon the initial amount of the radioactive material. Which makes the idea of "whole life" pretty useless.

Note: not to mention the half life of radioactive isotopes has been repeatedly tested and proven.
                              Last edited by sir shovelhands; 05-17-2017, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
                                Has anyone seen the movie Genesis? Very interesting. Will we ever have all the answers? Probably not. Does it really matter how old the earth is? I mean, really, in the big scheme of things. I believe the words of the Bible were breathed by God. So I believe everything it says. Do I understand it all completely? Of course not, that's why I continue to pray for wisdom and continue to read. Bottom line: I believe Jesus was born of a virgin, lived a perfect life here on earth, setting an example for all of us, was crucified and died on the cross, taking our sins with Him, and rose on the third day, overcoming sin and death for me. He is peace and love and He is my Savior!
                                So when I see Him I'll ask Him how old the earth really is. Til then, well, anything is possible with God.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Best response yet!

Comment

Working...
                                X