Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mt Etna erupting in Italy (Attempted Darwinism)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, just read that last sentence. And think about that for a minute. [emoji848]

Up to 10 people have been injured in an eruption on Mount Etna in Sicily, one of Europe’s most dangerous volcanoes.

A BBC film crew was caught up in the eruption, with global science correspondent Rebecca Morelle describing their terror in a series of tweets.

“Running down a mountain pelted by rocks, dodging burning boulders and boiling steam – not an experience I ever, ever want to repeat,” she wrote.

“A reminder of how dangerous and unpredictable volcanoes can be – everyone had a very lucky escape.

The volcano has been active for several days
    The volcano has been active for several days CREDIT: MARCO RESTIVO / BARCROFT IMAGES
    “BBC team all OK – some cuts/bruises and burns. Very shaken though – it was extremely scary.”

Guides and rescue teams led everyone off the mountain, she said.

Nobody was badly injured but six people were taken to hospital, Ansa, the Italian news agency, reported.

The south-east crater on Mt Etna has been erupting for several days.

That makes about as much sense as playing Hopscotch on 610 in Houston at rush hour and reporting "Several people were injured playing Hopscotch on Loop 610 today". [emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JW; 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM.

It's a volcano...........so ummmmmmmmmmm yeah.........

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
      It's a volcano...........so ummmmmmmmmmm yeah.........

Who would have ever thought you could be injured by a Volcano that's "already erupting) ?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
        Who would have ever thought you could be injured by a Volcano that's "already erupting) ?!

they all must have slept through geology class

Comment

I guess all of you hide behind your computer screens and have all of you adventures through interactive software.

Personally I just got back from scaling cliffs, sliding down chutes and rock slides. Sweating to the point of exhaustion while hiking and picking up trash left behind by others. Climbing, bouldering and helping scouts have a great adventure. One has a fractured wrist but finished the hike.

You only live once. The adrenaline and fun is in the risk and success. Not sitting at home reading a blog or news story about someone else who did it.

Yeah it was scary for those people but the were doing their jobs and just think of the tale they lived to tell theor grand children.

They saw the earth forming a new piece of itself. History unfolding before their eyes and they lived to tell about it.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Adrenaline junky or not, I wouldn't swim with a great white, and then complain about my stumps online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

MAybe Bush has a problem with these people and had that thing erupt to teach them a lesson

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                I guess all of you hide behind your computer screens and have all of you adventures through interactive software.

Personally I just got back from scaling cliffs, sliding down chutes and rock slides. Sweating to the point of exhaustion while hiking and picking up trash left behind by others. Climbing, bouldering and helping scouts have a great adventure. One has a fractured wrist but finished the hike.

You only live once. The adrenaline and fun is in the risk and success. Not sitting at home reading a blog or news story about someone else who did it.

Yeah it was scary for those people but the were doing their jobs and just think of the tale they lived to tell theor grand children.

They saw the earth forming a new piece of itself. History unfolding before their eyes and they lived to tell about it.

Yeah that sounds exactly like an "erupting" Volcano. I've been accused of being an adrenaline junkie, I've done more crazy **** than the average bear but I also have better sense than to hold a grounding rod over my head during a lightening storm too. [emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                  Yeah that sounds exactly like an "erupting" Volcano. I've been accused of being an adrenaline junkie but I also have better sense than to hold a grounding rod over my head during a lightening storm too. [emoji849]

Maybe but I would go to an erupting volcano if one were near me. Often erupting is just spewing gases, tremors and maybe a little lava flow. Not all of it is exploding rock and fire. That part is pretty unpredictable.

I have fished many tournaments during storms. Some so bad we curled up under the consoles and hoped like hell the lightening or a tornado didn't get us. Then later laughed like crazy about it at weigh in.

Some people don't try to put themselves in danger. It just ends up that way.

Comment

To each his own.....
                    But, if ya mess with the bull......

Comment

I doubt those that choose a life of putting themselves in harm's way to defend a nation, keep the peace or rescue those in trouble deserve to have their intelligence questioned yet they do it for a reason and I've known more than one who enjoyed the danger in the job.

Comment

Maybe but I would go to an erupting volcano if one were near me. Often erupting is just spewing gases, tremors and maybe a little lava flow. Not all of it is exploding rock and fire. That part is pretty unpredictable.

I have fished many tournaments during storms. Some so bad we curled up under the consoles and hoped like hell the lightening or a tornado didn't get us. Then later laughed like crazy about it at weigh in.

Some people don't try to put themselves in danger. It just ends up that way.

I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie too. Lots of motorcross in my younger days. Caught lots of alligators, snakes, wild hogs, deer, etc. But these folks obviously did decide to put themselves in danger. And if one of them would have been injured, then someone would have risked their own neck for an idiot that tried to see inside an erupting volcano. An adrenaline junkie is one thing. A moron is another thing entirely. JMO.

Comment

Maybe they're morons. But thet have a helluva story to tell.

Comment

Maybe they're morons. But thet have a helluva story to tell.

Agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by edbo144 View Post
                              I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie too. Lots of motorcross in my younger days. Caught lots of alligators, snakes, wild hogs, deer, etc. But these folks obviously did decide to put themselves in danger. And if one of them would have been injured, then someone would have risked their own neck for an idiot that tried to see inside an erupting volcano. An adrenaline junkie is one thing. A moron is another thing entirely. JMO.

That's exactly my point. There is a difference between doing fun adrenaline filled stuff that you can be injured at vs climbing an erupting volcano. And like you said. Usually, someone else had to get the morons. They just got lucky.

Comment

Working...
                              X