Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-20-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
Eastexhunt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby County
Default Fluting a barrel

Iíve got a 26Ē Bartlein #8 contour on my .260 in a HS precision stock. Itís heavy, like 14lbs heavy. Would it be better to have the barrel fluted and maybe cut down or just have it rebareled? I would like bring the weight down some for hunting. Itís a little heavy to carry around. Iím ignorant when it comes to things of this nature so I was hoping you guys could help me out. Would fluting it cause any accuracy issues? Itís super accurate as it sits so I donít want to lose any accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eastexhunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2020, 08:28 PM   #2
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

#8 is heavy regardless of fluting. Chopping it down to 20-22” and fluting it will save some weight, but it’s not going to save anything significant. Personally I’d drop to a #5 or 6 at the heaviest. I’ve run almost all #5s on my hunting rifles, and I’m really happy with theme
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
Eastexhunt
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
#8 is heavy regardless of fluting. Chopping it down to 20-22Ē and fluting it will save some weight, but itís not going to save anything significant. Personally Iíd drop to a #5 or 6 at the heaviest. Iíve run almost all #5s on my hunting rifles, and Iím really happy with theme

Yeah itís great for range shooting and the weight along with the muzzle break makes recoil almost non existent but Iíd like to start hunting with this rifle and as it sits it just too heavy. I was thinking of going with a carbon barrel but I know absolutely nothing about them.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:41 PM   #4
HTOWN
Six Point

Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS

I'd put a proof research barrel on it. Very light and very accurate barrels. I've been happy with mine and friends that have them are happy with them as well.
HTOWN is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 04:18 AM   #5
BigOh!
Four Point

Hunt In: Colorado & Lavaca Co. / McCurtain Co. OK

2nd the carbon proof barrel..
Fluting won't get you there with that Big ol pipe..
BigOh! is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
hchntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Fluting and cutting down the length will shave some weight but probably wouldnít be significant.
Like others have said, Iíd put a proof carbon fiber barrel on it.

hchntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 07:42 AM   #7
RR 314
Pope & Young

If you like the way it shoots, you may consider keeping it and building another lightweight version. Even if you swap out the barrel, it sounds like you will still be in the 9+ pound range. I have been looking for a specific Proof barrel since April or May and some are impossible to find.
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
hchntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
If you like the way it shoots, you may consider keeping it and building another lightweight version. Even if you swap out the barrel, it sounds like you will still be in the 9+ pound range. I have been looking for a specific Proof barrel since April or May and some are impossible to find.

Good advice here

hchntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #9
Eastexhunt
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post

This may be what I do. Iíve got a .308 in the safe that I could use for a donor action.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #10
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTOWN View Post
I'd put a proof research barrel on it. Very light and very accurate barrels. I've been happy with mine and friends that have them are happy with them as well.

Itís either this or you will need a new stock as well.

Build another gun
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #11
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Everyone needs more than one 260 in their stable! Clearly I vote for the second rifle but if you really want to rebarrel and like heavier (but not number 8 heavy) 3b-5 would be the heaviest I would go for a hunter.

I have a 23 inch #8 on my 308 (m40a3 type build) and she be heavy but she be deadly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
TenRing
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Everyone needs more than one 260 in their stable! Clearly I vote for the second rifle but if you really want to rebarrel and like heavier (but not number 8 heavy) 3b-5 would be the heaviest I would go for a hunter.

I have a 23 inch #8 on my 308 (m40a3 type build) and she be heavy but she be deadly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
A fluted, 24" 3b-5 would be a great choice for a .260....fluting will also help with stiffness and heat dispersion as well during range time.
TenRing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #13
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenRing View Post
A fluted, 24" 3b-5 would be a great choice for a .260....fluting will also help with stiffness and heat dispersion as well during range time.
How does it help with the stiffness?
krisw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #14
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisw View Post
How does it help with the stiffness?

A fluted 5 wo t be any stiffer than a none fluted but a fluted barrel that weighs X amount will be stiffer than a nonfluted barrel of same weight.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #15
txagyotebuster
Eight Point

Removing material will not make it stiffer. But like previously posted, you can flute say a #5 and it will be stiffer and weigh the same as a #4.

But a fluted #5 will not be stiffer than a non fluted #5. You can't remove material from 2 equal pieces and the one with less finished material be stiffer
txagyotebuster is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #16
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

Iíve heard that about it making the barrel stiffer before, I was just wondering what makes people say it. I get the heat dissipation because of the surface area, but I donít even think thatís a big bonus.
krisw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2020, 12:30 AM   #17
Dhbwa
Spike

Hunt In: Eastern WA

Couple things....Figure out what you want your end weight to be and back into the barrel contour. Guess being a mountain hunter I have a different opinion on contours....To me a Bartlein #3 is a heavy sporter.....

Most all the weight and potential weight savings are in the barrel and stock......

Once you determine your weight goal w/o optics come back for more info...��

Lastly if you decide on a CF barrel I’d recommend Bartlein in their #4.....I’ve used Proof...
Dhbwa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #18
BDKeeling
Six Point

BSF carbon fiber barrels are another option also. I have them on our AR 15 and love them.

BDKeeling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #19
Eastexhunt
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKeeling View Post
BSF carbon fiber barrels are another option also. I have them on our AR 15 and love them.

I just checked them out. I like what I see

Old 11-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #20
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisw View Post
I’ve heard that about it making the barrel stiffer before, I was just wondering what makes people say it. I get the heat dissipation because of the surface area, but I don’t even think that’s a big bonus.
The heat dissipation you get from fluting a barrel is pretty insignificant, especially with wide shallow cuts. If you wanted legit heat dissipation you'd need deep thin cuts while ensuring enough spacing so your boundary layers don't overlap, which is not only prohibitively expensive from a machining standpoint, but likely to be far less awesome than you'd hope, especially with natural convection.

Stiffness depends upon the amount of material in the same plane as the force acting upon it. Take an old wooden ruler, and try to bend it along the skinny side: you'd need some serious muscle to bend it, much less break it. Whereas a child could snap it in two bending the fat side. Same amount of material, just depends on where the force is acting and the material thickness in that plane.

But honestly a fluted barrel weighing 5# won't be that much stiffer than a un-fluted barrel weighing 5#.

Basically I don't think it's worth it as far performance goes. Didn't stop me from owning some. Why? Because they look awesome.

Last edited by sir shovelhands; 11-23-2020 at 06:42 PM.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top