No announcement yet.

20-21 Bois De Arc Caddo National Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any info on the Lake Fannin unit?
    It used to be archery only, but I think it has been leased by the county. Don’t know if it is huntable or not anymore...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
      Anyone have any info on the Lake Fannin unit?
      It used to be archery only, but I think it has been leased by the county. Don’t know if it is huntable or not anymore...

It's still huntable, archery only.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBCAT4119 View Post
        It's still huntable, archery only.
        oooohhhh really? I assume its public and the APH covers it? Im not sure what unit you're talking about specifically, but ill have to look into this. We have been making the trip to Nocona and looking at Pat Mayse for archery only units to avoid all the gun hunters. I have run into several people now who have been complaining of a large group of Vietnamese people going out and doing drives. Apparently they went out to unit 1 on opening gun and drove the unit, supposedly ended up shooting a 12 point and ****** everyone off and blew out the unit. I had another guy tell me a similar story on unit 19. Said they called the game warden on them. I don't know if this is the same group, but apparently someone hacked the head and quarters off a deer and left it right at the gate in camp as well... Might explain why I haven't seen anything the last 3 sits. So far I have been enjoying bow season, but pretty disgusted with the etiquette of rifle hunters, in my experience. Once rifle season opens everything goes to poo.

Comment

Caddo Grasslands

1st year hunting Caddo Grasslands. So what is the procedure if you shoot a deer or hog and it goes onto Private Property? How do I retreive my game legally? I don't want to Trespass and get in trouble with anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by lufkin102 View Post
            1st year hunting Caddo Grasslands. So what is the procedure if you shoot a deer or hog and it goes onto Private Property? How do I retreive my game legally? I don't want to Trespass and get in trouble with anyone.
            Legally you have to obtain permission to enter the property to retrieve your animal, otherwise you're trespassing. In some other state, you can enter property as long as its not posted, but you cant do that in TX. If there is a house on their property that they reside in, try going and knocking on the door. Maybe they will even have a side by side and help you retrieve it if they're cool. If there isn't a house on the property or no one is home, try looking up their address and obtaining a phone number. I don't have elite on X, but, I think if you pay for their elite it shows you name, address and contact info for private property owners on the map layers, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by firemedic731 View Post
              oooohhhh really? I assume its public and the APH covers it? Im not sure what unit you're talking about specifically, but ill have to look into this. We have been making the trip to Nocona and looking at Pat Mayse for archery only units to avoid all the gun hunters. I have run into several people now who have been complaining of a large group of Vietnamese people going out and doing drives. Apparently they went out to unit 1 on opening gun and drove the unit, supposedly ended up shooting a 12 point and ****** everyone off and blew out the unit. I had another guy tell me a similar story on unit 19. Said they called the game warden on them. I don't know if this is the same group, but apparently someone hacked the head and quarters off a deer and left it right at the gate in camp as well... Might explain why I haven't seen anything the last 3 sits. So far I have been enjoying bow season, but pretty disgusted with the etiquette of rifle hunters, in my experience. Once rifle season opens everything goes to poo.

Not 100% sure of the legalities of Lake Fannin, but it's been archery only for years. As for the mass gatherings of Vietnamiese hunters.... I've seen it 1st hand and it's horrible. They kill and clean everything they shoot. Red birds, coons, deer, you name it!

Comment

Not 100% sure of the legalities of Lake Fannin, but it's been archery only for years. As for the mass gatherings of Vietnamiese hunters.... I've seen it 1st hand and it's horrible. They kill and clean everything they shoot. Red birds, coons, deer, you name it!
                I hope they make caddo archery only... it would help so much with the low deer populations and age class of the breeding deer and cut down on all the illegal BS.

Comment

Originally posted by firemedic731 View Post
                  How did you do? I am still bow hunting, so I am hunting week days to avoid the crowds and guns as much as possible. I took a doe back on October 6th.

The sign seems to be a lot less this year. Last year I was finding some nice fresh rubs pretty frequently, but not so much this year. I haven't really seen much rutting activity either. Dead deer are starting to show up on the side of 82 though, so maybe they're starting to run. that or they're just "locked down" or pushed onto private, i saw a doe cross from public to private mid day the other day. I haven't seen any bucks the last 3 sits. Before rifle started, I was seeing a buck a sit. I passed on 2 spike's, a little 6 point right at his ears and a small 8 right at his ears, both were only 1.5 years old probably. I did end up having some rifle hunters walk past my camera on a scrape though, pretty disappointed and surprised, it was about a mile and a half back in.
                  I've sat both this past weekend and the weekend before. The crowds of orange army make seeing anything tough. I haven't seen any movement both sits, unfortunately.

Comment

Be there mid December with some buddies. My expectations aren’t high, we didn’t see a deer one last year. But hopefully that could change!

Comment

I was late getting out there this last weekend, left the fire station at 0700 and made it up there by about 830, was planning to sit all afternoon. Buttttt there was about 20 trucks in the parking lot, everyone was off for thanks giving. Hopped over to unit 1 and didn't see a dang thing. Going back Saturday real early.

Comment

I've only been to the Ladonia unit, but haven't shot anything yet. Been going out there for a few years and today was the first time I actually laid eyes on a deer. I'm just now getting over covid and still feeling pretty tired most of the time. I was going to go out early today but just couldn't get out of bed. I ended up getting there around 7:15 but all of my normal spots already had people there so I figured I would try some other spots. Luckily, I found a promising spot that I will go back to after the weekend rush. I was about to jump an 8 point but lost him in the tall grass. One of these days I will try to make it to 901N but I've spend so much time at Ladonia that I really don't want to give up on it yet.

Comment

Anyone hunt Coffee Mill Creek off CR 2295?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
                            Anyone hunt Coffee Mill Creek off CR 2295?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
                            About 200 **** people lol.... My dad went out there a couple weeks ago and walked in about 100 yards and turned around and came out. He said the woods were crawling with people and didn't feel safe "he's been hunting public land for 30+ years"

Comment

You can hunt Lake Fannin with a rifle during general season. Talked to Randolph McGee just to confirm since I started seeing rifle hunters on my cameras last season.

Comment

Originally posted by BPurvisJr View Post
                                You can hunt Lake Fannin with a rifle during general season. Talked to Randolph McGee just to confirm since I started seeing rifle hunters on my cameras last season.

Well, that’s going to ruin the Lake Fannin area quick. The whole reason it was worth hunting was because it was now only...

Comment

Working...
                                X