Doe Kill and Luna's First Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doe Kill and Luna's First Track

A couple of interesting things to watch in this video. 1) The buck's exit strategy. 2) The arrows flight after the hit. 3) The dog's first find. It was here that I wish I took the time to video her. I was more concerned about training her than videoing the track. However she did so well for her first track, I wish I would've filmed it.

We rescued Luna at 18 weeks. I had her on the ranch at 2 weeks later where she was first introduced to a blood trail and a down deer. The deer was shot a little far back by a buddy's daughter in the evening hunt and the doe was live so Luna didn't really get good practice.

On January 3rd, I put a good shot on this doe and hoped to have her follow an experience dog. My brother's Catahoula was busy on another track, so I took Luna out on her own. She went above and beyond my expectations tracking this doe in high broom weed.

The doe entered the broom weed further out than I thought and she found the track. The deer took a 90 degree turn and one point and she stayed on the blood helping us find the doe quickly. The doe had traveled about 75 yards.

Luna was described as a Catahoula, but I believe she is likely a mix. Regardless, she has a great nose and the drive to track and has an excellent disposition. She successfully completed this track at 21 weeks old with very little training.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=031PY5yNpvk&list=TLPQMDUwMTIwMjDhqMn8vCEby A&index=1"]Doe Harvest with Bow - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by Djhester; 01-04-2020, 11:21 PM. Reason: Having trouble embedding the video

Great video, thanks for sharing. Luna looks so much like Pepper. Pepper is doing great. She has spent a lot of time at the ranch, but she was at home when I shot a deer a few weeks ago. Hopefully I will have some video of her to share in the near future.

Comment

Looks like maybe that arrow skipped off the ground after the pass through. That buck whacked his horns on dat feeder on his way through there.

Comment

Great video, thanks for sharing. Luna looks so much like Pepper. Pepper is doing great. She has spent a lot of time at the ranch, but she was at home when I shot a deer a few weeks ago. Hopefully I will have some video of her to share in the near future.
        That is great to hear. Luna loves the lease. She's only been out there twice, but she has a ball. She interacts well with the other hunters, dogs, and especially the kids. I was amazed at how well she tracked with almost no training. I wish I'd have had my wife video her on the track. Maybe next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
          Looks like maybe that arrow skipped off the ground after the pass through. That buck whacked his horns on dat feeder on his way through there.
          Yep. The arrow was easy to find thanks to the video. I've rewatched a few times, just to see that buck dive under the feeder.

Comment

great video congrats

Comment

Great shot and video! Congrats!

Comment

I bet doe didn't go far!! Congrats on backstraps!

Comment

Originally posted by robbyayala View Post
                  I bet doe didn't go far!! Congrats on backstraps!
                  You are correct. About 60 yards in the tall broom weed. Just enough to give us a good training track.

And that backstrap chicken fried was pretty dang good.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

That's one happy dog

Originally posted by Djhester View Post
                      A couple of interesting things to watch in this video. 1) The buck's exit strategy. 2) The arrows flight after the hit. 3) The dog's first find. It was here that I wish I took the time to video her. I was more concerned about training her than videoing the track. However she did so well for her first track, I wish I would've filmed it.

We rescued Luna at 18 weeks. I had her on the ranch at 2 weeks later where she was first introduced to a blood trail and a down deer. The deer was shot a little far back by a buddy's daughter in the evening hunt and the doe was live so Luna didn't really get good practice.

On January 3rd, I put a good shot on this doe and hoped to have her follow an experience dog. My brother's Catahoula was busy on another track, so I took Luna out on her own. She went above and beyond my expectations tracking this doe in high broom weed.

The doe entered the broom weed further out than I thought and she found the track. The deer took a 90 degree turn and one point and she stayed on the blood helping us find the doe quickly. The doe had traveled about 75 yards.

Luna was described as a Catahoula, but I believe she is likely a mix. Regardless, she has a great nose and the drive to track and has an excellent disposition. She successfully completed this track at 21 weeks old with very little training.

Doe Harvest with Bow - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                      X