? for fire fighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? for fire fighters

Ok, so I'm looking to get into the fire academy in Houston soon. I know the academy has recruits taking an EMT-B course. My question is is it worth it for me to get certified as an actual paramedic rather than an EMT before the academy or not? I'd like to do both as I would like to try and offset days off with some extra income as well as make myself a better asset to the dept. Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Are you referring to Houston FD, or just a separate fire academy in Houston? If you're talking about Houston FD, I would spend my time focusing on getting the job first. Do they put you through medic school, or just EMT? I'm not sure how Houston does it, but it mainly comes down to a few things: Do you want to pay for school, or let them pay for it? EMT is a prerequisite for Medic school, so you can gamble and see if you get the job first to save some money. Will you have an opportunity to promote faster if you're already a medic?

Not trying to answer your question with a question, but I can help you a little more once I know what your plan is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcam23 View Post
      Are you referring to Houston FD, or just a separate fire academy in Houston? If you're talking about Houston FD, I would spend my time focusing on getting the job first. Do they put you through medic school, or just EMT? I'm not sure how Houston does it, but it mainly comes down to a few things: Do you want to pay for school, or let them pay for it? EMT is a prerequisite for Medic school, so you can gamble and see if you get the job first to save some money. Will you have an opportunity to promote faster if you're already a medic?

Not trying to answer your question with a question, but I can help you a little more once I know what your plan is.
      It will be through HFD. What I've been able to find is that they put you through the EMT course as a requirement for graduation. The GI Bill will cover my schooling if I do the medic route 1st, so I'm not too concerned about paying for the course of I did it on my own. The promotion part is another reason I asked about being a medic prior to the academy. I know that course has a lot in it, so I thought it would be better to take it before the FD so I could focus solely on that with less distractions

Comment

Not near Houston, but I can answer some questions. Some departments give preferential treatment to medics in the hiring process, some don't. My department doesn't, but we'll send you to school if you want after we hire you. Will it open doors for you? Probably. Is it worth it? Only you can decide that.

On another note, my department is about to give an entrance exam, and start an academy class very soon, PM me if you want more info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't quote me on all of this but I believe Houston offers a fast track academy for those with an emt cert already. So instead of the academy being six mos it would only be three. Just using that time frame as an example not real sure on how long their academy is. That being said I would first worry about getting hired on and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
            Don't quote me on all of this but I believe Houston offers a fast track academy for those with an emt cert already. So instead of the academy being six mos it would only be three. Just using that time frame as an example not real sure on how long their academy is. That being said I would first worry about getting hired on and go from there.
            Yea, it cuts out I think 10 weeks that would normally be spent on that course. If they'll send me to medic school after that'd be great. I still need to call them and get some more things answered on all of that

Comment

If there's any chance that you'd get hired in the middle of paramedic school, I would wait. If not, and your GI bill covers your classes, then I say go for it. All full-time depts require EMT-B either be completed, or they will put you through it.

Also, what Mac said is true for many depts. They have fast-track courses if there are enough EMT or Medic candidates available.

Comment

You might want to talk to some HFD medics before you think about being a medic there. To be a medic and be good at it in the city you need to truly have a passion for it otherwise you'll just be another ****** off medic. All you need to get in a fast track class is your fire cert and emt. However if you a really NOT wanting to be a medic I would go NON CERTIFIED. It's a longer class but you are less likely to get picked up to be a medic.

Being a medic gets you nothing promotion wise.

Medics in HFD get the short end of a very long stick. Talk to a medic in the city! Talk to a medic in the city! Anyone hear me mention he should talk to a medic in the city?

Also I highly doubt you're gonna wanna ride an ambulance on your day off after riding it in the city. If you do, you are truly a rare and in my opinion F...up breed.

If you have anymore questions you can PM me. I'll be honest, ems in Houston will test you mentally just about everyday unless you luck out and go to a slow house, which btw you won't till you have at least 10 years.

Good luck and talk to a medic in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tsix-eightX View Post
                  You might want to talk to some HFD medics before you think about being a medic there. To be a medic and be good at it in the city you need to truly have a passion for it otherwise you'll just be another ****** off medic. All you need to get in a fast track class is your fire cert and emt. However if you a really NOT wanting to be a medic I would go NON CERTIFIED. It's a longer class but you are less likely to get picked up to be a medic.

Being a medic gets you nothing promotion wise.

Medics in HFD get the short end of a very long stick. Talk to a medic in the city! Talk to a medic in the city! Anyone hear me mention he should talk to a medic in the city?

Also I highly doubt you're gonna wanna ride an ambulance on your day off after riding it in the city. If you do, you are truly a rare and in my opinion F...up breed.

If you have anymore questions you can PM me. I'll be honest, ems in Houston will test you mentally just about everyday unless you luck out and go to a slow house, which btw you won't till you have at least 10 years.

Good luck and talk to a medic in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Lol. Pm headed your way dude

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                    Not near Houston, but I can answer some questions. Some departments give preferential treatment to medics in the hiring process, some don't. My department doesn't, but we'll send you to school if you want after we hire you. Will it open doors for you? Probably. Is it worth it? Only you can decide that.

On another note, my department is about to give an entrance exam, and start an academy class very soon, PM me if you want more info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
                    Pm sent

Comment

It won't hurt you one bit to go and get it out of the way. Then all you have to focus on is getting through the state test. I say go for it

Comment

I took the Houston test a little over a year ago, I was 68 on the hiring list and opted to enter the business world. I originally finished my fire cert through a third party, but not my EMT. As of now (as stated on their site) a non certified individual will take their fire academy and they will be required to finish EMT-B. With this being said, I know guys that have gone on after they finish there basic and not have to get there paramedic, and others that had to go get their paramedic. I recommend calling an HFD recruiter and they will tell you what the requirements is as of now. Best of luck to you, I've had a lot of family work for HFD.

Comment

Also, pretty sure HFD fast track is only for those that already have certs, like EMT-B, Paramedic, or fire cert (which includes emt-b). There fast track is to get you accustomed to the way the city does things, for example, they have a different way they like the extension ladders raised, its nothing totally different.

Comment

I have been in the dept 13 yrs now pm me or give me a call 832-721-6775 I can help you out

Comment

Originally posted by captardvark View Post
                              I have been in the dept 13 yrs now pm me or give me a call 832-721-6775 I can help you out
                              Calling you shortly

Comment

Working...
                              X