No announcement yet.

Future Alaska Fishing Trip Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been looking and researching all of your recommendations, and I see it'll be a tough decision. There's So many packages and options!! I've been talking to my oldest son, Kole, about this for the past two days, and we're getting excited!!

Has anyone used "air bnb" as an option for lodging to save money? Is it worth it? Do you lose benefits when booking trips through the above outfitters such as cleaning and packaging fish etc?

Also, when is the latest I should plan to book (my deadline) before everything is booked? I know I can call some of the lodges and ask, but thought I'd ask here first...

Thanks again,
    Roby

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
      I can’t recommend a guide because my friends don’t guide BUT I wanted to add to what [mention]Mary [/mention] wrote…. If you sign up for a Alaska Airlines Visa card (through Bank of America, unfortunately) you get a better deal on baggage. Not to mention, it’s a great card with lots of benefits and they have some terrific sign-up incentives (50K miles or more with signup, I think) right now. When you sign up for their mileage program and get the card you’re also given ONE $99 “companion fare” each year - take a friend with you as nowhere Alaska flies for just $99 each way! I earn a LOT of cheap and free travel (including to AK) by using that card for everything. Just figured I’d let you know. Big savings on travel will make things easier for a big trip like that; including bringing all your meat home!

Personally, I’d look at a early August trip to hit King Salmon season! There’s just something about them that I love.

Good luck! You’re gonna LOVE IT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yes, do this....it will definitely save you!

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
      I've been looking and researching all of your recommendations, and I see it'll be a tough decision. There's So many packages and options!! I've been talking to my oldest son, Kole, about this for the past two days, and we're getting excited!!

Has anyone used "air bnb" as an option for lodging to save money? Is it worth it? Do you lose benefits when booking trips through the above outfitters such as cleaning and packaging fish etc?

Also, when is the latest I should plan to book (my deadline) before everything is booked? I know I can call some of the lodges and ask, but thought I'd ask here first...

Thanks again,
      Roby
      We didn't decide to go until things opened up somewhat with COVID....in late March of this year. We were able to get the time frame we wanted in August....so no wait for us this year. It's going to be hard to say how things navigate with charters moving forward with COVID in the mix. I know last year .... they were very restricted with only 3 people to boats, and it was a slow year for most in the Kenai peninsula (told from one of the guides we were with on the multi-fish type day).

I don't think you will have any trouble with air bnb and getting charters on the side. There were a lot of folks fishing with Jimmie Jack that were not staying at their lodge.

I am actually thinking of airbnb on the next trip.

Comment

I’m in soldotna now and fishing off the bank and killing em’.

Comment

Couple of folks recommended R.W.'s Fishing. Have been with him several times over the years. It is a great experience and you will catch a lot of fish.

This being said, it is my opinion that fish caught out in the salt water are much better table fare. We have fished day trips as an excursion on cruises and these trips were inside. Not nearly as fun as river fishing in my opinion but the fish are much better tasting than when they hit the fresh water.

Whatever you choose, it is a great time. Ron is a great guy and his guides will always put you on fish. I believe he has eliminated the fly outs from his packages because they are so pricey. You can still book your own fly out though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
            I’m in soldotna now and fishing off the bank and killing em’.

Post some pics

Comment

I lived and served 2.5 years of my life, running Federal Fishing enforcement and Search and Rescue support throughout the Bering Sea, Juneau to Kenai and Valdez, and Dutch Harbor and Kodiak Island.

Kodiak Island - has everything plus Kodiak Bear and the Pacific to Inland sides of this massive Island.

Salmon, Dolly Varden, Halibut, Pacific Cod, Rock Fish - Salmon (king, sockeye, coho, chum, and pink) Rainbow trout and Cut Throat trout - Crabs (King, Dungeness & Tanner).

Essentially - all salmon species as well as King Crab and Kodiak bear - are all native species and being an island - disconnected from the mainland - she remains a place one step below - the real wild reaches of Alaska further to the North West - as the last real mooring and gateway before sailing up and into that other world THE BERING SEA.

I've pulled on all species there - ate my catch exploring along wild rivers and protected deep ice free coves and gathered glass balls and floatsam, that piles up on Kodiak Island's FOSSIL BEACH. It's location in that section of the North Pacific - collects drift from literally man's beginning - piled up on her beaches.

It also is out of the more rainy region in the SE quadrant near British Columbia and Juneau/Ketchikan and barrier islands miles and miles to the seaward and the open waters of the Pacific Ocean.

Kodiak is that island, perched on deep waters, surrounded by the Pacific. If it's rough on the south side, you fish the lee to the North side.

Midnight sun - above the Arctic Circle - less than 20 miles from Siberia

Kodiak Harbor - this gives one an idea of the fin fish fishery - not crab boats - all net.

Comment

I work for a charter service up here. We run the Kenai and Kasilof..out of Seward, Homer, and Ninilchik. Go in 2023 if you want sockeye, look at the yearly cycles. If you want to KEEP kings, fish for them in the salt, don’t waste your time on the rivers, the restrictions are worse each year. Smaller boats go out of Ninilchik, beat fishing this year was out of Homer. Rumor is next year there will be a $10 halibut stamp, $$ will go to buy commercial guys quota so everyone can catch 2 halibut any size. Rumor also that the seiners won’t be able to operate to protect the runs on the rivers….February the rules come out. Last two weeks of July are insane here. Air Bnb and vrbo, but make sure you have transportation before you ever book anything. DO NOT try to book last minute for fishing trips….

Comment

It's always been a dream of mine to take my 2 sons to Alaska and Fish (....and go back later and hunt). Me and my oldest son were talking last night about finally planning our trip. I'm sure it'll need to be for 2023 since 2022 will start booking up quickly, and so we can save $, research, plan, etc.

I've seen some good threads and recommendations on the GS. Does anyone have any recent experiences/recommendations for us to consider? It'll be our first time, and we'd like to get the most bang for the buck! We like the combo packages, and we'd like to catch kings, but the time frame seems more narrow than silver and other species.

Suggestions?
                  Thanks,
                  Roby
                  Just got back, been there a few times in June and July and so far I’d only go back and fish mid- august. The reds and the silvers are in which created more options.
                  Cars and guides must be booked in advance. Lodging is a roll of the dice. It’s not cheap no matter what.
                  We did a few Airbnb and vrbos. Mixed bag. Alaskan ones are different, learn to read the fine print and details. We’ve had a couple of laughable experiences., but most are fine. Pay attention to the cleaning fees, as an a $100 cleaning cost is totally understandable, but if you’re only staying a night here and a night there, it adds up and you may want to opt for something nicer for basically the same price. Most hotels in fishing locations have either chest freezers or walk ins.
                  Pm me if you need any more advice.
                  Learn “chuck and duck” “ fly fishing” if you’re going to fish from shore.
                  Xxl ziplock suitcase bags are handy for hauling fillets up from the river or boat.
                  Definitely book a good salt charter. The recommended guides from here should be heeded. For your first trip, I’d stay at a lodge, maybe spend a day or two after trying it on your own and you can decide what to do the next time, because you can’t go once.

Comment

Thanks so much, again- Solid advice by all!

I saw a separate post from someone needing to buy a pistol while fishing banks. Is it common to bring my own .45 while fishing the banks or fly-ins?

Comment

Thanks so much, again- Solid advice by all!

I saw a separate post from someone needing to buy a pistol while fishing banks. Is it common to bring my own .45 while fishing the banks or fly-ins?
                      If you just really think you need it then you can take it with you. During the salmon runs, bears are so focused on the fish you shouldn't have any issues unless you decide to go somewhere off the beaten path and come silently stepping up on a bear chowing down on a salmon. As long as you make noise and don't run, bears will skidaddle on off.

If you're doing a flyout trip you'll be with a guide who has a shotgun or rifle.

Comment

Working...
                      X