Tribute to a Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tribute to a Friend

Today I will attend the funeral of a friend. I just wanted to pay tribute to his life of service. John Kowalik was a member of TBH although I cannot remember his screen name. What is important is that he spent almost 35 years in public service. He was a paramedic for the City of Wharton for that entire time. He has been the EMS Director for the past 15 years or so. He and I worked together for many years, I as a police officer and he as a paramedic. He was our ERT Teams first Combat Medic, so he and I went through a lot of doors together. This was a job he volunteered for, not one that was assigned. He went through those doors unarmed, except for his trauma bag, and quick wit.

He was a loud mouth, who loved to joke and laugh. He had absolutely no filter and would say things out loud that no one in their right mind would say. He would also do anything for anyone in need. I never knew John to say no.

John was an imperfect person, as we all are. But John was different. He was a person who was truly willing to give someone a second chance. He hired people over my advice. He always said that the City took a chance on him, and he was going to do the same. As a result he has had some people come through his organization who have done a complete 180 in their lives and have turned in to outstanding employees and great human beings.

John just had a huge heart. He wasn't scared to call you out when you messed up, but he would be there for you when you did. I can't even tell you the number of hours I spent in his shop building deer stands and feeders, and listening to him laugh and joke, at my crappy welds. But then he would show me how to do it right. The number of camp fires we sat around. The number of meals we shared.

John deserves to be honored. He deserves to be remembered. I am a better person for having known him. I cannot believe you are gone my friend. Life will never be the same without you.

RIP John, God bless

Comment

What a tribute Sarge. Our legacy is reflected in the life we lived. Sorry your friend is gone brother.

Comment

I am sorry for your loss. The world is losing too many of the good ones.

Comment

Sorry for your loss of a good friend. They are hard to find it hurts to lose them.

Comment

Sorry for your loss but know your thankful for all the memories y’all shared

Comment

RIP John....prayers sent.

Comment

RIP John. God Bless & Prayers Up.

Comment

Rip Sir, sounds like I would have gotten along with him real good.

Godspeed

Comment

Some could be so lucky to have a tribute written about them at the time of passing that equaled yours.

Great tribute and R.I.P. sir John.

Rwc

Comment

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend John Kowalik. May he rest in peace.

Comment

RIP John. Thank you sir for your service.

Comment

Rip sir

Comment

Funeral probably had 300 or more people. Awesome testament to how many people John touched both personally and professionally. I’m proud to have known him.

Comment

Hey G,
                              Fitting tribute. John started his EMS career in Rockport and was one of my volunteers at the time. The service was full of the honor that was due John. Thanks for being his friend, and for looking after T and their boys. Catch you on the other side, John.

Comment

Working...
                              X