AR-15 build question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR-15 build question

Usually run a free float handguard but have a cheapy loaner/fun/house gun I am putting together and just wanting to run the magpul front handguard to put on the carbine. It is carbine gas length and currently running the A2 style post front site gas block. I want to replace that gas block with this one.

Will I still be able to run this handguard? Or am I going to have to just get a free float and be done? Trying to be cheap thus the magpul handguard which is only $30. But I hate that style of front site and would rather just have a front rail I can put a flip up front site on later.

Or is there anyone making a gas block that has the pic rail on top and will still let me use a clam shell style handguard?

This is essentially what I am trying to accomplish, anybody make a gas block like that? I have been looking trying to find one but my google skills lacking today.
    Attached Files

Comment

Have you thought about just cutting the front post down and let er rip?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
        Have you thought about just cutting the front post down and let er rip?
        I have but then if I want to put a flip up front site on it later which I do want to do at some point I am screwed.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          I have but then if I want to put a flip up front site on it later which I do want to do at some point I am screwed.

You’ll be at the same point you’re at now if the front site post is already on there. Cut it down for the meantime, and replace it later when toy funds are a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            You’ll be at the same point you’re at now if the front site post is already on there. Cut it down for the meantime, and replace it later when toy funds are a little better.
            Yeah I may just end up biting the bullet and rip the grinder out and a cut off wheel. But if I can make it work with out chopping on it would be preferred. But not looking good in my search.

Comment

To answer the initial question, you would still be able to use the two piece handguard with that gas block.

Comment

Joe Bob's outfitters has free float rails/handguards for under $65.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would think you should be able to use one of those two piece hand guards, with that gas block. You could also buy a cheap free float hand guard. I bought a cheap one at a gun show, I have seen a lot of the cheap free float, quad rail forearms at gun shows. I think I paid something like $25 to $30 for the one I have. I used it with the stock front sight and with a cheap gas block I bought, with no front sight.

Comment

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 03-01-2021, 06:41 AM. Reason: Not on topic

Comment

Place that I've used, and been happy with- JustRails.com

Comment

Working...
                      X