New Mexico Vacation ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mexico Vacation ?

I usually go to Colorado, but this year I'm thinking about a trip to New Mexico end of May. I would like to rent a side x side one day and ride some trails, and would like to do some kayak fishing and lake front camping. I was looking at Ruidoso, but wanted to get some recommendations from people that have actually been there. The side x side trails will need to be moderate at most since I'll have my older mom with me, and she would freak out if too crazy haha. Im not opposed to staying in a cabin either if it is lake front are very near water. The trip I have envisioned is leave Denton, go to Ruidoso for a few days, hit White Sands for a day, then go to Carlsbad Caverns for a day or two. I thought that would be a pretty nice loop for us, but am open to other options as well. Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by DFA; 01-29-2021, 10:57 AM.

Red River might fit the wants better than Ruidoso.

Comment

Red River has a lot of good trail right around town. You can find cabins on the river pretty easy right now. It will fill up quickly though. We go pretty often and will be going again. We rent a sxs and hit trails and fly fish. Small enough town you can walk the whole thing.

Comment

I'm not going back to new mexico until they lift some of the restrictions. Take out food only etc.

Comment

For what you are wanting to do, Red River would be better than Ruidoso.

Comment

How's the snowpack in NM right now ?
            May might be early for trail rides on the NF.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
              How's the snowpack in NM right now ?
              May might be early for trail rides on the NF.
              I was kind of worried about that. I know in Ouray the Alpine Loop is a no go that time of year probably. I'm not familiar with NM, so not sure

Comment

I winter in Las Cruces (just not this winter) 16 years worth. It is a great place to visit. Not much water south so you may have to go north. Elephant Butte is a very nice place and I have seen places for rent on the water there.

Must have lifted some of the food restrictions. Buddy and friends are limited to 6 at a table at a restaurant just today.

Comment

Don't go to Red River on Memorial Day weekend. Always a HUGE biker rally there on that weekend. Well, if you're a biker and love the HUGE rallies, then go on that weekend. Otherwise, pick a different weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                    I'm not going back to new mexico until they lift some of the restrictions. Take out food only etc.
                    They still making hunters quarantine for two weeks upon arrival? lmao freakin commies.

Comment

Good advice in previous threads.

‘Doso doesn’t have much water. Bonito lake was destroyed in the Little Bear Fire- and it was the region’s most scenic lake and best trout fishing.

Huge fan of Red River- but no go on Memorial Day as noted above.

Enough trails for the first timer to stay busy for several days. Not quite as unique or beautiful as Colorado.

Eagle Nest lake is right up the road toward Angie Fire. Loaded with trout,pike, yellow perch. Beautiful place to fish. It’s a state park and been closed to non-residents with Covid restrictions

Red and Cimarron offer good fly fishing.

Snowpack is weak this winter.

Easy to visit Taos, Angel Fire and several of Unique communities from Red River.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Trips to some of these places is in my future, thanks for the good info. Have a good vacation DFA wherever you decide on. Post up some vacation pics, there is some beautiful county in New Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                          Trips to some of these places is in my future, thanks for the good info. Have a good vacation DFA wherever you decide on. Post up some vacation pics, there is some beautiful county in New Mexico.
                          Thank you, and i will def post pics. Thanks to all who posted with tips

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                            Good advice in previous threads.

‘Doso doesn’t have much water. Bonito lake was destroyed in the Little Bear Fire- and it was the region’s most scenic lake and best trout fishing.

Huge fan of Red River- but no go on Memorial Day as noted above.

Enough trails for the first timer to stay busy for several days. Not quite as unique or beautiful as Colorado.

Eagle Nest lake is right up the road toward Angie Fire. Loaded with trout,pike, yellow perch. Beautiful place to fish. It’s a state park and been closed to non-residents with Covid restrictions

Red and Cimarron offer good fly fishing.

Snowpack is weak this winter.

Easy to visit Taos, Angel Fire and several of Unique communities from Red River.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I looked up Eagles Nest Lake, and Im definitely going to check that place out sometime. I would love to kayak fish it for pike. Hopefully, they lift the out of state thing this summer.

Comment

Working...
                            X