Metal or wood ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal or wood ??

Drawing up plans for a new hexagon bow blind. Gonna have 3' wide walls and will sit on a 5' platform. Teetering back and forth as to framing it out with wood or square tubing. Yall help me decide on which way to go.

Which of the 2 are you most comfortable working with? Metal prob outlasts wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Metal

Comment

if you can weld and work with metal I would do metal. I can't weld so I build my stuff out of wood. either one will work good for you.

Comment

Metal all day long. You can make them much lighter. 1” 16g square tubing works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, I am leaning toward metal since it would be lighter and last longer (even skinning the outside with metal). Just kicking around the idea of building it in sections and putting it together on site out at the ranch may be easier if it is made of wood.

Will most likely end up just going all metal.

Comment

I framed a 5x5 out 1" square tubing and turned out great
              Attached Files

Comment

^^^ yes sir, I like that a lot. You convinced me.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                  ^^^ yes sir, I like that a lot. You convinced me.
                  I kind of threw the outside together but it turned out pretty well. I used cedar fence pickets for the sides and roof and then put a 30 year vinyl over top when it was complete. I siliconed the inside between all the boards. It is pretty heavy though.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have never built a hexagonal but have built a bunch of rectangle. I don't use square tubing, as it is more expensive and heavier. I always framed mine with 1/8thX1" angle iron. It is lighter and cheaper than tubing. The floor I always did larger and heavier angle, but for the roof and walls 1". I would also look at LP Smart siding for the exterior. It is virtually waterproof, and is mold and and rot resistant. It is not super heavy either.

Comment

Will definitely look at the angle iron route as well. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                        I have never built a hexagonal but have built a bunch of rectangle. I don't use square tubing, as it is more expensive and heavier. I always framed mine with 1/8thX1" angle iron. It is lighter and cheaper than tubing. The floor I always did larger and heavier angle, but for the roof and walls 1". I would also look at LP Smart siding for the exterior. It is virtually waterproof, and is mold and and rot resistant. It is not super heavy either.
                        1" 16 gauge square tubing is cheaper than angle iron. It took 10/ 20ft sticks to frame that blind. A little less than $100. It's less than $10 bucks for a 20ft stick at triple s steel. Also 1/8" x 1" angle wouldn't be lighter than 1"-16 gauge square tubing. Its double the thickness. About the same weight.

Comment

Metal will serve you best

Comment

I’ve done both and both frames held up very well; however, I would suggest that you prime all exposed areas on both. A buddy has a metal frame I built 20 years ago and still uses it to this day.

Comment

nice rig

Comment

Working...
                              X