Schleicher County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schleicher County

I’m looking at a place west of Menard in the Fort McKavett area. Does anyone hunt this area? Are there any axis in this area? Thanks for any intel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We hunt in that area but menard county. We have axis and blackbuck pretty regular.

Comment

Beautiful area, jump on it! We had a place close to Adams, TX that I miss daily.

Comment

Man I miss Menard good area, Fort McKavett area was my favorite place to hunt.

Comment

Been hunting west of Ft McKavett on FM 2084 for the last 25 years on some family land. Finally had a couple axis passing thru and hanging around the summer and fall of 2019 but hadnt seen any more since. I figured they must have got out of someone's high fence somewhere fairly close by. Dont have any true free ranging herds of exotics around there yet, but it seems they may be moving that direction. Only seen one hog in all the years we have been out there, but see a lot of dead ones on the side of 190 between 2084 and Menard, so unfortunately the hogs are starting to move out that way as well. Lots of deer and turkey in the area.

Comment

WT, Axis, BB and hogs from my experience.

Comment

Jealous. I love that area. Wish I could find a lease there. Im no help on the exotic question though

Comment

Ft. McKavett is close to area where you will have a few Axis. The further east you go, the more Axis and the further west from there, it seems you will have less. I will say that the Axis range is constantly expanding as populations increase. I am seeing some really big ones on a ranch north of Menard where there was not an Axis five years ago.
                I estimate that I am feeding at least 30 Axis on a little 31 acre tract west of Menard. I am shocked how many are there but it is on the river which seems to be a preferred habitat for the spotted critters.
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a place in between Christoval and Eldorado. Seen a few axis and blackbuck but I don't think there is an overwhelming number of them.

Our places in Melvin and Eden definitely have axis!

Comment

2020 was first year we've had consistent showing of free-range axis due north of Ft. McKavett and we're 4 miles off the river where most axis have been prominent. Still seeing some bigger mature axis bucks that survived the winter storm.

There's no place in Texas like the classic Ft. McKavett country!

Comment

Plenty of Axis in Manard once you hit Eldorado you won’t see many

Comment

Holler if y’all need another member

Comment

Nice area. I wish I could go back there.

Comment

We hunt near the Eldorado air station. We don’t have any exotics

Comment

Working...
                              X