Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the flattest trajectory caliber/bullet combo to 300 yards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
    His spotlight maxes out at 300
    My spot light maxes at 120 yards actually, but I only use it on coons and hogs.

Comment

.257 Hot Tamale

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicket Luke View Post
        Because as I said in the OP I can never see further so I want the flattest line to that distance. Not to mention if you can't get closer than 300 your a poor hunter.
        That was my point. Three hundred yards is not a long shot and you don’t need a 4,000 fps cartridge to make that shot. I’ve done it on coyotes with a 25-06 and a 22-250. I’ve done close to that on deer, like 275 yards, with a 7-08, a .280 Rem, and a 30-06. So pick your poison, ALMOST all rimless cartridges with a shoulder will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicket Luke View Post
          Thanks for all the input. I am not shooting at anything but boredom on a cold frozen day. I already have and love a .264 win mag that does all my heavy lifting. I have kinda thought about a 6.5-300 Vanguard lately since they are so cheap but ammo is kinda spotty still so I will wait till they over produce and the price crashes. As for the question at hand I looked up some front runners heres what I found:

6.5-300 WBY: -3 from the barrel tip to 300

.220 Swift (40gr): -4.5 from barrel tip to 300

.257 WBY (87gr): -5 from barrel tip to 300

28 Nosler: -4.8 from barrel tip to 300

30-378 WBY (175gr): -6 from barrel tip to 300

240 WBY (85gr): -6.5 from barrel tip to 300

7mm Rem: -8.5 from barrel tip to 300

270 WIN (130sst): -9 from barrel tip to 300

260 REM: -10 from barrel tip to 300

I used gun data.org for all the data and this is actual drop from the barrel not the line of sight. As you can see the 6.5's have it to 300 yards. The big 300's will out run the smaller bullets further out but the speed/BC combo on the 6.5-300 is unbeatable at 300. My little .220 Swift held its own to 300 as well as I figured it would, still the best caliber ever invented. Thanks for the input.
          What numbers you are using when getting the 220 Swift 4.5” drop. Bullet/B.C./velocity?

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            Typical for East Texas I hear.
            Randolph McGee is following this thread

[emoji23] next on lone star law.....pipeline hunter with a spotlight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
              For deer sized critters it's probably the 6.5 /300 weatherby
              This is what I am thinking. 6.5/300 Weatherby, with a 28" to 30" barrel, with some good handloads and probably a high BC 140 gr. bullet. Really that combo, should be about the flattest shooting round, out to some very long ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                7.62 Firebird / 7mm Lazzeroni...shoots a 120gr right around 4000 w/ a 5" line of sight to 400yds.
                X2. Hunted with a guy that shot a 7 lazz. It was an absolute hammer!

Comment

diamond10x is onto something 25-06 or 243wssm true lazer beams

Comment

Any of these Lazzeroni rounds will do it with ease. Zero for 1.5" high at 100 and then center crosshair on the shoulder out to 400 and squeeze the trigger.
                    Attached Files

Comment

taking out all the smart acs comments , what you really want is to adjust your scope to get point blank range to be close to 300 ... for example a 308 with 168 grain sighted in 2.5 high at 100 will still hit within a 5" vital zone at 290 .. so if you plan on hunting whatever , just estimate vital zone (5 to 6"???), adjust your 100 yard zero to hit that 5" target no matter what by just aim and shoot ... i think that's what you really want ... you'll hit a little high up close and a little low far .. but make a kill regardless without adjustments

after that, you can pick calibers that may have a little less deviation based on speed and bc ... but for the most part , just point and shoot ...

phone apps like ballistic AE have a point blank range target size that shows you the exact calculation to achieve just that.. then , just practice in the field and you should be golden...

hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                        What numbers you are using when getting the 220 Swift 4.5” drop. Bullet/B.C./velocity?
                        http://gundata.org/cartridge/12/.220-swift/ this is what I used but I love the Swift and I handload for it as well and get 4400fps with a 40gr bullet and full load of AA2700.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
                          That's the reason I chose the 165 grain .300 weatherby mag. It is very flat. The 6.5-.300 is too hot and You will burn the barrel up
                          Unless you hunt for a living, you're never going to burn the barrel up in a 6.5 -.300 hunting rifle.
                          Ever

Comment

Those Lazzeroni Calibers are impressive for sure. I did not include them since they are not very mainstream. No free lunch with any caliber though, burn more powder if you want to go straitter (For some reason my Spell check is not recognizing this clearly real word). The 6.5-300 is the winner for sure and probably would be for many yards more if I cared to look. Just for comparison sake I will expand my original list so guys can really see where the different calibers stack up:

6.5-300 WBY: -3 from the barrel tip to 300

.220 Swift (40gr): -4.5 from barrel tip to 300

.257 WBY (87gr): -5 from barrel tip to 300

28 Nosler: -4.8 from barrel tip to 300

30-378 WBY (175gr): -6 from barrel tip to 300

240 WBY (85gr): -6.5 from barrel tip to 300

25-06 (85gr): -6.5 from barrel tip to 300

.264 Win Mag (100gr): -7 from barrel tip to 300

7mm Rem: -8.5 from barrel tip to 300

270 WIN (130sst): -9 from barrel tip to 300

260 REM: -10 from barrel tip to 300

30-06 (165gr): -11 from barrel tip to 300

350 Rem Mag (220gr): -14 from barrel tip to 300

I was surprised to see how well the 25-06 did. It is a real flat shooter to be sure.

Comment

I was surprised to see how well the 25-06 did. It is a real flat shooter to be sure

No surprise, It was based on a 85 gr bullet.......

Comment

Had a guy tell me one time he’s killed several deer at 700 and 800 yrds with his 300 wtby. I asked him what his hold over was. He sad non a weatherby shoots flat out to 1000yrds. Unbelievable is all I got lol !

Comment

Working...
                                X