Crossbow Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbow Questions

I know nothing about crossbows. I have shot two different ones once each. I like the premise but they felt cumbersome. Now it looks like a number of them are more slim lined which should help. What should I look for in purchasing one? Is fps speed just like a compound? What would be the minimum? Is it like a rifle where once sighted in anyone can shoot it? Wife has taken to hunting this season and I can't wait for the next one already. She likes shooting a compound, but thinking a crossbow might be a better option especially if something we can both use.

I’ve owned several over the years and enjoyed shooting the heck out of pigs with them. It really depends on what you want, i.e. a recurve crossbow, reversed limbs, regular limbs. I’ve owned several of the recurves, liking the fact that if something happened the string, I could change it within minutes even out in the field. Mission crossbows, you can also change the string/cables without taking it the shop and putting it on the press.

Comment

Just like compounds they have evolved. Smaller, more compact, faster. Depends on what you want to spend $800-3,000. Just like a rifle, once sighted anyone can shoot them. Look for something in the 375-400fps range with a built in cocking crank. Depending on the size of the blind you will be shooting out of determines how compact you will need especially if more than 1 person is in the blind.

Comment

I just bought an Axe 405, it has a built in hand crank for cocking and this also allows for de-cocking without firing an arrow....just turn crank in opposite direction, which is pretty dadgum handy. It has reverse limbs so it is a little more compact. It is a tad heavy though.

Comment

Keep the handguard in mind.
          Look for one that blocks the holding hand thumb from reaching the string.

I have a higher end xbow with a small guard and a centerpoint with a nice big one.

The thumb floating up during the shot has removed more than one fingernail / fingertip.

Comment

Just like a bow. Go to somewhere that has them in stock and shoot them. You really want the same things you want in a bow. Light, fast and quite. So pick the one that best suits your needs in those categories.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
              I know nothing about crossbows. I have shot two different ones once each. I like the premise but they felt cumbersome. Now it looks like a number of them are more slim lined which should help. What should I look for in purchasing one? Is fps speed just like a compound? What would be the minimum? Is it like a rifle where once sighted in anyone can shoot it? Wife has taken to hunting this season and I can't wait for the next one already. She likes shooting a compound, but thinking a crossbow might be a better option especially if something we can both use.
              Take a drive over to Texas Archery in Spring, they carry a couple different brands and will let you shoot them.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                I’ve owned several over the years and enjoyed shooting the heck out of pigs with them. It really depends on what you want, i.e. a recurve crossbow, reversed limbs, regular limbs. I’ve owned several of the recurves, liking the fact that if something happened the string, I could change it within minutes even out in the field. Mission crossbows, you can also change the string/cables without taking it the shop and putting it on the press.

I’ve had my share of different crossbows - I currently hunt with a Scorpyd Deathstalker (reverse limb) and just bought a Ravin R10 recently but haven’t hunted with it yet.

DFWPI is correct - I love the Mission crossbows. I had a Mission Dagger and regret selling it to my BIL. Mission also used to make the MXB-320 which is very similar.

Either would make a great crossbow for your wife if you can find a used one. I’d register on Crossbowtalk.com and CrossbowNation.com and keep an eye on the classifieds. Good luck.

Just saw this old ad on CrossbowTAlk - this would have been a dandy.

Last edited by tpcollins; 01-06-2021, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X