6.5 grendel for deer hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 grendel for deer hunting

I have a son that want to deer hunt. He has a 243 but it’s got a little bit of kick to it. What are y’all thoughts on a grendel on a ar platform for little man

Good to go, choose the right bullet and get him some practice to get him comfortable with the gun and make a good shot.

Comment

He a dang good shot with a ar 223 so if a grendel is better for hunting then I might go that route

Comment

Federal fusion ammo

Comment

A grendel would be a great deer gun for him.

Comment

Yessir. All day.

Comment

My son shot a doe last year with a 123g Hornady SST. Didn’t leave the best entry hole and no exit but she only went 40 yards and was done. Gonna try the federal fusion as suggested this year if I can find some.

Comment

Great round for deer at a reasonable distance. Hard to find ammo in places right now though. Its what my 8 year old shoots.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Would your son know the difference between the 243 and practicing with a scoped .22?

I did that years ago with a kid. Practiced with .22, shot deer with 25-06, and never knew the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                    Would your son know the difference between the 243 and practicing with a scoped .22?

I did that years ago with a kid. Practiced with .22, shot deer with 25-06, and never knew the difference.
                    Same here. Both my grown daughters shoot 12ga and 30-06's now.

Comment

He knows the difference. He shoots a 20 gauge and a 243 but it does have a bit of kick. I don’t want him jumping

Comment

My 9 year old kills them with a 223, he also shoots a 250 Savage with no issues. A Grendel should be fine to 200 yards with a good 120 grin bullet.

Comment

6.5 Grendel is the worst deer rifle ever.

I’d much rather shoot them with a .22-250.

I bought my son a Grendel in a neat little howa bolt action.

The results after shooting two deer were less than stellar. All were good shots. Little knockdown power, little internal damage with 123 grain hornady SST. The first deer took 3 perfectly placed rounds and was still on his feet.

Thought it would be a perfect choice for 100 yard feeder hunting, boy was I wrong

Comment

I've shot 3 deer and 2 pigs with 123gr SSTs. All DRT. It's my go to for the hill country deer I hunt, and will likely be what my kids shoot when they are of age.

MZ

Comment

Seen some killed. Also saw one lost. Stick with an 18-20" barrel and that will help.

Comment

Working...
                              X