No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know some of the hunters there last weekend had never been to laguna an saw the access roads/trails as shooting lanes not realizing they are gateways to 1000’s of acres. On scouting day, I had one group tell me they had already set up their stuff and didn’t seem too happy I was there. I saw a ground blind set up right on the side of the road just after entering the first gate in unit 8. Just seemed a bit unsafe for those walking/riding through there so I stayed away. I hunted the north end the first day. There was no one around where I was at.

Comment

Originally posted by Whalerboy67 View Post
      I know some of the hunters there last weekend had never been to laguna an saw the access roads/trails as shooting lanes not realizing they are gateways to 1000’s of acres. On scouting day, I had one group tell me they had already set up their stuff and didn’t seem too happy I was there. I saw a ground blind set up right on the side of the road just after entering the first gate in unit 8. Just seemed a bit unsafe for those walking/riding through there so I stayed away. I hunted the north end the first day. There was no one around where I was at.

Congrats on the kill Whaler. I was also down there on the same hunt you were and saw several hunters set up on the roads including the guys in the pop up. Laguna is an amazing place, especially for spot at stalk. I don’t understand why more hunters don’t take advantage of it as it has been a very successful method for myself and others I have met down there.

Comment

I plan on going in 4+ miles in... It really bothers me me that I might be going in where folks are hunting on the roads with rifles.

Unless I am hauling something out during the day, I will be moving before sun up and after sundown. guess I need hazard lights on my bike

Comment

Anybody going on the February 17-19 hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
            I had to force myself to continue reading some parts of that[emoji849]. Thanks for your profound advice and knowledge, Luke.[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
            I saved myself the grief and quit reading after the first sentence in the second paragraph.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
              Did anyone get a pic of the final board?
              This was the updated board at 4:50 pm Saturday when I took this picture for self gratification. I spoke with the guy there and he was talking about how this year has been somewhat slower, with less animals being seen and taken. Consistent with what some of us may have observed.

As an interesting note, I think the first 2 nilgai on the list were taken with a single shot. As told by the hunter’s brother.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Whalerboy67; 12-23-2020, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Way to go whaler with a great bull! I'll be using a .308 also and glad to see it did the job well.

Comment

Final countdown has begun! I'll be rolling down Wednesday and scouting Thursday. Very much looking forward to my first rifle hunt at lanwr. As always will be staying at Port Isla Inn.

Comment

Keep the updates coming. I'll be following along as I am gonna be there next week.

Have you gotten the email about rules and such for the hunt?

I had heard that on previous hunts, folks were setting up on the roads. Someone else mentioned he thought the rules said not set ups within 100' of the road. not sure what to expect down there.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                      Keep the updates coming. I'll be following along as I am gonna be there next week.

Have you gotten the email about rules and such for the hunt?

I had heard that on previous hunts, folks were setting up on the roads. Someone else mentioned he thought the rules said not set ups within 100' of the road. not sure what to expect down there.

Good luck.
                      I’ll be there next weekend as well and wondering when they will send the email for rules and such to follow got this week to get my bag ready and hopefully this weekend do final inspection on my bike and cart

Comment

Going in 6 weeks. Can't wait.

Comment

I suggest that if you see any of the wardens that you stop and talk with them. They are great guys and are there to help and appreciate the conversations with us hunters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

for the folks going this week... any new rules or anything different about the hunt from the archery hunts other than less compartments to hunt? I guess y'all got your email by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                              for the folks going this week... any new rules or anything different about the hunt from the archery hunts other than less compartments to hunt? I guess y'all got your email by now.
                              Not yet. I called the office and they said the email will go out later today or early tomorrow morning. By "roads" I believe they mean the trails that run through the refuge. Those aren't considered roads.

Comment

very well could be bout the roads. I haven't hunted the norther part where they may be trails that are thought of as roads. Not sure I will go that far up. If I have time during scouting day, I may head up there.

Comment

Working...
                                X