Changing hard drive format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing hard drive format

I upgraded my video editing software this year and it doesn't like the FAT32 format of the external HD I use to store video. It says I can convert the HD to NTSC format.

Anyone tell me how to do this and will it effect the video already stored there. I know since the upgrade when I try to work with old video it is very choppy. Any advise is appreciated.

Don't have a lot of expertise in this area but from past experience with reformatting HD's. I think you would need to back up your computer and reformat the hard drive in the NTSC format, BUT don't wipe your HD till you know 100% for sure. When i was reformatting my HD a couple weeks ago i remember seeing a option to do it in the FAT32 format or the NTSC format. Hope i didn't cause more confusion with this.....

Comment

Back up the external first. When you reformat, you will lose the data. I am sure there is a way not to but everytime I have reformatted, I have lost it all.

Comment

I think you mean NTFS format. Microsoft can change the format from FAT32 to NTFS without loss of data. I have done this on many occasions and it worked everytime I did it however I would still backup my data before I did it just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm probably going to buy a new one today for video. 80 gigs goes quick with video files. I will try formatting the new one to NTSC then transfer the video files.

Comment

Just right click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop and click on "Manage" > then come down to "Disk Management" under "Storage".
            This will give your the tools to re-format the drive

Comment

Thanks again. I picked up a 250 GB hard drive today and will format it for video and then transfer my video over there.

Comment

Working...
              X