Chapparal WMA youth hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapparal WMA youth hunt?

My daughter drew a Javalina permit throught the TPWD for next weekend in the Chapparal WMA near Cotulla and I was wondering if anyone on here has ever participated in this hunt? We have never hunted Javalina before but they recommend bringing a ground blind and corn any other tips or tricks?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KLAPPER; 01-18-2020, 11:24 AM.

Originally posted by KLAPPER View Post
    My daughter drew a Javalina permit throught the TPWD for next weekend in the Chapparal WMA near Cotulla and I was wondering if anyone on here has ever participated in this hunt? We have never hunted Javalina before but they recommend bringing a ground blind and corn any other tips or tricks?

CORN..... it all starts there. In past hunts, we spread corn on all your roads and senderos in our compartment. Pick a spot where u can see multiple directions. They will find the corn eventually. Don’t be afraid to sit in a spot u can see farther than she can shoot. If u spot some at a distance, slip along in the brush until u r close enough. They aren’t the brightest. I always took shooting sticks for my kids for this reason. Oh and did I mention bring a lot of corn 😊

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
      CORN..... it all starts there. In past hunts, we spread corn on all your roads and senderos in our compartment. Pick a spot where u can see multiple directions. They will find the corn eventually. Don’t be afraid to sit in a spot u can see farther than she can shoot. If u spot some at a distance, slip along in the brush until u r close enough. They aren’t the brightest. I always took shooting sticks for my kids for this reason. Oh and did I mention bring a lot of corn 😊
      I couldn’t have stated it better myself. Did a few youth javelina hunts with my kids over the years at the Chap.

Corn roads/senderos, walk them, sit at crossroads/intersections. No need for pop ups IMHO. Be sure to take your own chairs for blinds. Use sticks or folding stools or chairs for your kids to shoot from when you’re the ground.

Have fun.

Comment

I was just there on a deer hunt last month and could not get rid of the javelinas lol! You should not have a problem getting one. You can walk right up to them in plain sight and they won’t spook until you’re about 15 yards away.

Comment

I wouldnt bring blind. Lawn chairs and sit in a 4 way. Corn. Bring something for her to shoot prone on. Stalk up to about 75 yards easy. Hogs will be a tougher to stalk up on but should still be able to get within 75 yards. Don’t have to get up early for Javis. And mid day is great. Once they find corn they stay on it. Not bad to eat if you clean them right and get the gland off them
          Last edited by glen; 01-18-2020, 06:17 PM.

Comment

All good advice. I'll be there with my son. We hunted deer there in November. Did not kill a deer, but saw lots of javis.

Comment

Good luck!!!

I'm hoping my kiddos draws that hunt sooner or later.

Comment

It took 3 years of putting in for us but from what I understand you dont technically have to draw to get to hunt you might call them and find out the details.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                  All good advice. I'll be there with my son. We hunted deer there in November. Did not kill a deer, but saw lots of javis.
                  Good luck yo yall

Comment

Originally posted by Wackmaster View Post
                    I was just there on a deer hunt last month and could not get rid of the javelinas lol! You should not have a problem getting one. You can walk right up to them in plain sight and they won’t spook until you’re about 15 yards away.
                    Pretty much the same here. There was one that I just couldn't run off. On one afternoon, I pulled up in my truck and while going thru the pics on my camera, he came out 15 yds from the truck waiting on me to put more corn out!!!

Comment

Are illegals a concern down there?

Comment

There were some sightings outside the high fence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Klapper- There is a high fence with government signs all over it. I e been on and hunted Chap at least 15 times. Nothing to worry about. If you have a bipod for the gun take it. Need a little elevation if shooting prone. If you going to hunt lawn chair style bring a small shade cover or sunscreen

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice, we are looking forward to getting down there. I will update this post with how we do.

Comment

Corn corn corn corn corn corn corn corn and hunt the stands they have set up because the biologist feed those stands for the youths. Bring a cushion and confrontable chair.

Comment

Working...
                              X