Fly reel recommendations at Cabelas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly reel recommendations at Cabelas

I’ve got a fly rod but never got the reel. Will be up in Dillon, CO this summer and want to fly fish while I’m up there.

I have $175 in cabelas gift cards. What reel do you recommend? Ideally I
    id get 2 spoils of line in that budget as well. 1 for practice casting in the yard and another for fishing

Just remember that when you get your reel it matches the wt of your fly rod.

On my Cabela's Three Forks it came with a prestige ii in 5 wt.

I still consider myself a novice, but here is the reel I'd get - https://www.cabelas.com/product/fish...0.uts?slotId=1

I'd look to spend more on a good Scientific Anglers fly line - https://www.cabelas.com/product/fish...3.uts?slotId=0

You might want to see what fly shops are in that area and get recommendations for the time you're going to be there.

I'm sure more experienced folks will be around shortly.
    Last edited by hopedale; 01-26-2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Lamson reels have always been good to me. They have a line of reels in your price range. You won’t be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
        Lamson reels have always been good to me. They have a line of reels in your price range. You won’t be disappointed.
        This and The Cabela's brand is a lamson with a better price btw

Comment

Have the prestige and its a good little reel. Might also consider going up by 1 on the line weight. Can help load the rod a little better sometimes. YMMV

Comment

I'd tell you plan on spending $60-75 per fly line to get a decent quality line. That isn't top end, that is just what I'd consider a good usable line. You can buy cheaper lines but you may get frustrated with them. Look at Rio and Scientific Anglers and pick out one of their trout lines that matches the weight of your rod.

The reel isn't all that important unless you are going to be fishing very fine tippets and very small flies and then the drag becomes very important. TFO has some reels that are budget minded and might be a good bet. Their NXT reels for a 5wt are about $90.

What rod do you have and what weight is it?

Comment

Hard to beat an Orvis Clearwater...

On another note, look up Colorado Angler. They are based in Dillon, excellent guides for wade or drift trips if you want to shorten the learning curve....

Comment

Bump for the M-F daytime shift

Comment

Working...
                X