Hate grease guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate grease guns

Need some pro tips from my fellow TBHers on how to grease my truck’s zerks. I’ve been doing it for over 20 years and I still can’t get it right without having to fool with them a bunch. By then I’ve made a huge mess and can barely tell if I added any!

Anyone use those lock-on couplers??

Yes, I bought one of the lock on types and it has done real well. I like it for removing the coupler as much as getting on the port. I would recommend it.

Comment

Sometimes it is not the grease gun, it is the grease fitting.
      They go bad, the little spring hangs up, they clog up.
      For about 6 or 8 bucks buy a grease fitting assortment to keep in your shop, they have them at Harbour Fraught, Tractor supply, NAPA, lots of places
      Get one in metric and one in SAE.

When a zerk refused to operate properly change that sucker out.

Also a grease gun with a hand grip pump lever can be operated with one hand and is much handier than a standard one with the bigger lever that takes two hands to operate. Sometimes the extra hand to properly hold the grease hose end in just the right place on the zerk makes all the difference.

Comment

Make sure to clean the fitting and the tip of the grease gun too. You don't want to push debris into the joint.

Also, I use a small pick and make sure the ball detent can be easily pushed in. Sometimes they stick.

Comment

Originally posted by mcbZX225 View Post
          Yes, I bought one of the lock on types and it has done real well. I like it for removing the coupler as much as getting on the port. I would recommend it.
          This. Bought it on a whim but love it

Comment

Thank you for starting this thread. It’s a personal pain in the A for next as well. Even with clean or new zerks.

Comment

Coupler made difference for me on tractors and mowers, lot of good info hear especially on those zerts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lock N Lube on a Millwaukee cordless grease gun is one of the best tools I own for greasing just about anything. The Lock N Lube will also help with those stubborn clogged zerks, plus no nearly as much mess to deal with since it doesn't leak.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                  Lock N Lube on a Millwaukee cordless grease gun is one of the best tools I own for greasing just about anything. The Lock N Lube will also help with those stubborn clogged zerks, plus no nearly as much mess to deal with since it doesn't leak.

I use the same set up . A M18 makes greasing every thing a breeze . I keep it in my truck at all times .

Comment

Get the lube shuttle grease gun. Seriously, you will thank me. I just purchased one and I love it. Add lock and lube and you are golden. No more wearing grease. Lube my entire Ram 2500 and only had grease on the rag.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                      I use the same set up . A M18 makes greasing every thing a breeze . I keep it in my truck at all times .
                      I use this setup at work and love it

Comment

Yep like others have said i have a milwaukee and the lock and lube XL. Great for about 99% of the stuff i have run across on our tractors, dozers mowers hay equipment etc.

I dont know where you are located but we carry the lock and lubes at our stores in East texas we sell them every day.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the information in this thread! I just ordered a squeeze handle gun with the lock n load adapter.

I have 2 or 3 grease guns in my barn at home. I hung 'em on a peg board, and they all leak the grease out the plunger that keeps pressure on the cartridge. I ordered a Lincoln hoping it will keep the dang grease in the gun until i shoot it into the zerk fitting!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Thanks guys for all the information in this thread! I just ordered a squeeze handle gun with the lock n load adapter.

I have 2 or 3 grease guns in my barn at home. I hung 'em on a peg board, and they all leak the grease out the plunger that keeps pressure on the cartridge. I ordered a Lincoln hoping it will keep the dang grease in the gun until i shoot it into the zerk fitting!!
                            Can you please post where you ordered this from. I am getting in on it as well! Thanks. Also sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X