Youth Rifle weekend question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Rifle weekend question

I have been taking my 9 year old son to practice shooting his .243 for a couple years. He’s been in the blind with me the last 5 years. This year he says he’s ready to kill a deer. We’ve shot a little more this year in preparation for youth weekend. We both feel comfortable with his shooting ability and I feel like he’s ready to shoot a deer. But we all know when the moment comes adrenaline & nerves come into play.

My question is... if he makes a less than perfect shot, would it be a law violation for me to take a follow up shot to make sure the deer goes down instead of running 2 miles to die unrecovered?

My brain says yes it would be unlawful but not unethical.

My boy made a less than perfect on his second deer and I made follow up shots.
    No idea what the law might say but sure seems dumb to potentially lose one when it is avoidable.

Comment

Unfortunately it is unlawful. Understand you’d rather not wound the animal, never find it, etc. But it is youth season.
      You’ve taken the time with him, he’ll do fine. Good Luck!

Comment

Tough question and a teachable Dad moment. Unfortunately I think we have all been there and lost and animal. I also think about what lesson I don't want to teach him.

Comment

Loose lips sink ships, what people dont know dont hurt them.

Comment

You've put in the time with him and your both comfortable with his shooting ability. He will do fine. But he makes a less than perfect shot dont do anything unlawful that would make it worse. Explain to him why you can't make e follow up shot. Dont want him learning to do something wrong. Makin a less than perfect shot is part of hunting. It happens. Will just make him a better hunter by lookin at where he might have messed up and learn from it. Sounds like he's got a great dad and teacher. Best of luck to you and him

Comment

Good luck there is still a little time for more practice

Comment

It sounds like you've prepped as best you can. Trust in your teaching, say a little prayer and it will work out.

The absolutely hardest thing to do as a parent is to turn loose of your kids and let them succeed or fail on their own. The reason we have the knowledge we have is because of those successes and failures.

Comment

First, good luck this season. My son is 5 and is eaten up with it already- might be a year early to have him kill a deer but we are getting there.
                  To your question- when I am hunting, my ethical obligation is always to kill the animal as quickly and humanely as possible. In the scenario you described, if the animal is 100% going to escape and suffer, I am shooting that animal again. I'll deal with the game warden and the consequences of that decision if need be.
                  But let's hope for a proper shot and a good kill!
                  Last edited by Charrison; 10-20-2020, 06:19 AM.

Comment

At that point are you taking the deer or is your son? Seems like you would have to be pretty dang quick on a follow-up to make it count, almost shooting at the same time. Otherwise, you would be slinging lead at a running deer.

Also, shooting off the bench at the local range with sandbags is not the same as shooting out of a blind. If you have the room I would suggest some type of tripod set up to help him out with that. From there, get up in the blind and make sure he can hit a target with whatever setup you choose at 100, or your self imposed maximum yardage.

After all that, explain what is going to happen, the adrenaline, buck fever, etc. Teach him to breathe, do not squeeze the trigger until he has verified the shot is not going to hit another deer, etc. Make sure he is ready emotionally. Taking the life of a large animal can be overwhelming for some.

I do not think you can do much more than that. I have seen more young kids turned off to hunting because they were not prepared for what they were about to do, or making a bad shot then waiting until they are a few years older. The bottom line is you know your son the best, we see younger kids making great shots all the time. Kids are individuals and you are in the best spot to evaluate ability and mindset. Yall have fun out there!!

Comment

Not legal. Keep the shots close. And ultra high percentage!!!!! Don’t fall to the temptation of can’t kill if ya don’t shoot. Good luck to him this season!

And speaking from experience he will be more likely to hit it on a follow up shot than you, lol. If you think the adrenaline is crazy for him.... just wait till it hits YOU! enjoy the hunt

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                          Loose lips sink ships, what people dont know dont hurt them.
                          It would be a shame for the kiddo not to be able to tell his story, that's a huge part of the first deer.

Put all the odds in his favor, and don't rush ANYTHING. You will know when he's locked in, and things are as right as they can be. Go throw out a bucket of corn at 50-70 yds if your feeder is further, take a pillow with you to tuck under his arm if he can't rest his elbow on a window sill or something, and make sure his chair is the right height. He'll do fine.

Mucho pictures!

Comment

I agree with Dale. Throw some corn closer than what he has been practicing and give him the best chance possible. My daughter is in the same boat. We have been practicing a lot with her crossbow. I just remind her to take her time and squeeze the trigger. Dont put to much pressure on him with a bunch of instructions while he is shooting. Just remind him to breath and squeeze the trigger and let the shot surprise him. He will do fine.

Comment

X2 on a tripod... look at the Caldwell Dead Shot Fieldpod, or something like it. It takes a lot of the nerves, shakes, etc. out of the equation and helps them feel more confident.

Comment

Working...
                              X