No announcement yet.

Nervous before shooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few things that work for me several have touched on. Once I see it’s my target deer, get in a comfortable spot in stand seat, being in a uncomfortable spot, twisted up, trying to hold bow up....etc will cause me to start shaking quicker than anything. Then I pick a very small tuff of hair, scar, discolored hair and focus on that instead of head gear, then at shot use that for reference point and find off side leg and adjust from there. Another thing I do and it’s not for everyone but I gap my pins, something about this really makes me take my time and make good shot. Then after shot and marking last place I saw deer it all falls apart, thank goodness for wrist slings and safety harnesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just killing lots and lots of critters helps. Screw up enough opportunities, and get ****** at yourself, you'll start shooting straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        I'm just the opposite....With a bow, I am a heart-thumping leg-shaking mofo .....deer, pig, turkey whatever. With a rifle, unless its a really big deer , I'm just getrdone....
        Same-- I can be watching a group of deer for 30 minutes cool as a cucumber, then the second I decide I'm going to take a doe, my heart starts racing.

I use the tactical/box breathing thing to help.
        inhale - 4 sec
        hold - 4 sec
        exhale - 4 sec
        hold - 4 sec

Rifle hunting doesn't do the same for me-- never has.

Comment

I’m calm as can be but when it comes time to either flip the safety off or hook my release to the loop I get beyond amped up. Luckily I learned to control it early on to focus on the shot or else there’d be many many of lucky animals running around. Slowing my breathing and concentrating on my system before, during, and after the shot is what keeps me in control.

Comment

Hear the ol heart beating in your ears and breath? Like some others said, not so much when you see them, but when you finally decide to take the shot, the heart noise gets louder. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
              Best part of hunting.
              x3

Comment

It is the best part of hunting. My fitbit tracks my heart rate and when the buck I ended up shooting this year jumped in the feed pen my heart rate went from 72 beats per minute to 126 beats per minute. Awesome

Comment

I used to get super shaky but that has faded a little with age and the amount of animals taken. Lots of practice on pigs has made it easier for when the real shot comes into play on a WT.

Comment

Start riding bulls, everything else after that is a cake walk.

Comment

I always drink a few beers when I sight my bow/gun in. Maybe keep a tall boy in the pack.

Comment

Start counting backwards from 100 when your target animal comes into view. Slow your count and your heart rate as you count down.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                          Best part of hunting.
                          This!

Comment

This is really interesting. It is neat to see how differently it affects people. I usually get somewhat excited when a "target" animal comes into view. If I am hunting for a doe, my heart rate will go up when even a doe comes out. Since I will shoot at pigs every chance I get, they get my heart going. If I am hog hunting, a doe will have little or no effect.

I haven't really noticed a difference between rifle or bow.

Comment

Working...
                            X