Crockett County Hunters/Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crockett County Hunters/Hunting

Can anyone give me some insight on hunting in Crockett County? I might have an opportunity to hunt in some land out there this year just wanted to know what the hunting is like. I've heard it can be tough hunting (similar to East Texas). What else? What kind of game can one expect to see out there? Any input will be helpful.

Crockett county as in Ozona or Crockett Texas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      Crockett county as in Ozona or Crockett Texas?

As in Ozona

Comment

I hunted in Ozona a few years back and I would have 15-20 deer every sit and as long as I had corn on the ground, more would keep coming in. It sure wasn't like the East Texas I hunted. We had a bunch of 120 class bucks, but could only take something over 4.5yr and 140. I had one that was about 135 but was a young un

Also, I was north on town about 10 miles
        Last edited by careybirdwell; 07-08-2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
          As in Ozona

I have been hunting northwest Crockett county for 14 years and it nothing like east Texas. Whomever said that had never been there or never hunted East texas.

I see deer every time I sit, and we also have mule deer and Javelina.

Will you be north or south of I-10?

Comment

I have been hunting northwest Crockett county for 14 years and it nothing like east Texas. Whomever said that had never been there or never hunted East texas.

I see deer every time I sit, and we also have mule deer and Javelina.

Will you be north or south of I-10?

Well that's good to know I read about it on old posts in Texas Hunting Forum and TBH. Most posts are outdated so just tryin to get some new info. Any issues in those areas with Auodad or Hogs? I haven't got the exact location yet just know it's in that county. The owner of the property is friends with my cousin and mentioned that he will give us hunting access as long as we can help him maintain the land. Been abandoned for 7 years.

Comment

We don’t have hogs where I hunt and have only killed 2 aoudad unfortunately.

Comment

We don’t have hogs where I hunt and have only killed 2 aoudad unfortunately.

As soon as I know the area I will post on here to get better insight. Can you PM me or even post on here on what kind of setups you have down there such as feeders, game cams, stands etc. It's quite a drive out there so just wanted to know what other folks are using to keep an area fed with corn and protein. I was thinking of Cell cams would be best since we wouldn't be making a lot of trips

Comment

I don’t have enough cell service there it use cell cams or I would.

Do some searching for threads I have started and deer we have killed.

Mostly box blinds on and feeder pens.

Comment

I don’t have enough cell service there it use cell cams or I would.

Do some searching for threads I have started and deer we have killed.

Mostly box blinds on and feeder pens.

Will do thanks!

Comment

Just depends on what part of the county your in, there's places you'd call a man a liar when he told you they had lots of deer. There's also places you'd call a man a liar when he told you they only allow 1 deer per hunter until the herd rebuilds. Good friend of mine is a trapper for the county, he counted 57 deer kills on one property, killed a momma lion and 3 yearlings, 2 years later they're starting to hunt deer again.

Comment

Just found out the property is closer to the Iraan area

Comment

plenty of deer not similar to etx in the least bit.

Comment

I've been hunting between Eldorado and Iraan off 190 for about 10 year. Plenty of deer and a decent amount of Turkeys. We don't get huge racks where I'm at and we have always been on a management program. We will get the occasional 140-150, but nothing bigger yet. No exotics or muleys where I am. Never seen a hog on our property. I hunt on 6,800 acres with 14 members.

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
                              Just found out the property is closer to the Iraan area

The ranch I hunt is 10 miles from Iraan as the crow fly.

Depending on where this property is and how big it could be some really good hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X