Fastest Growing Shade Trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fastest Growing Shade Trees?

The house we are buying doesn't hardly have any trees in the yard. I would like to plant a few shade trees around the house and don't want to wait 10-20 years before they are decent sized. What are some of the fastest growing shade trees that do well in sandy soil? The property is on a hill near a lake and drains extremely well. What have y'all planted that grew fast in this type of environment?

Avoid Bradford Pear trees....grow fast, pretty in the Spring and break apart in a good wind storm.

Comment

The fastest growing trees also fall apart quickly and are prone to storm damage. be careful of placement to close to your home.

Comment

Buy some container trees. 45+ gallon live oaks would do well in sandy soil. You will have shade in no time

Comment

I’ve got Bradford and Cleveland pears. Never any problems with them. The Cleveland I really like. Also have lots of live oaks. They have taken 15 years, but have gone from sticks to beautiful trees.

Comment

Chinese pistachio. I have some that have gotten huge in 20 years, and the fall leaf colors are spectacular.

Comment

Paulownia

Comment

Bur Oak

Comment

Burr oak x2. God never made a better tree

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                    Burr oak x2. God never made a better tree
                    I planted one a few years back (<10) thinking I would never really get to enjoy it. I have been shocked by how fast it has grown. I also planted a Shummard Red Oak 25 years ago that was the size of a quarter. It is now more than 30" in diameter at breast height.
                    Last edited by Rush2Judge; 07-07-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Best trees ever invented. Drought and disease resistant, beautiful and easy to propogate. And you will have shade before 20 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

someone before me planted Chinese Elm and the grow like a weed. Get big. Worst tree ever had. Messy. I cut and cut. And every seed makes a baby. Like a virus. But strong. Do break in storms on occassion. My Spanish and Post Oaks, Nice! Big. The elm is no good to cook, use in fireplace or anything but wear out my chain saw. My rant on this elm. I think also called Lacy Leaf?

Comment

Silver maple

Comment

Thanks. Y'all have given me several to look into. I was also told that the Sycamore grows fast too. Where is the best place to find some of the trees that have been mentioned. I've always had plenty of trees and have never had to buy any and plant them.

Comment

I planted a tulip poplar at my old place and it has sprouted up from 6'-0" to probably 20'-0" in 5 or so years. I bought them here.

Bring the perfect plant home with FastGrowingTrees.com. Find privacy trees, house plants, fruit trees and more with free shipping on orders over $49.

Comment

Working...
                              X