Scent cover for guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scent cover for guns?

I wanted to get some sage advice on something I can't quite figure out easily. The last couple of times we went out for hogs we went the extra mile spraying ourselves with scent eliminator, then following up with the juice from a can of sweet corn. While we were out there the smell from my gun was very strong, smelling of metal and gun oil. We had a deer approach from somewhat downwind and we're pretty sure it sniffed us out because it cleared its nose and ran off.

In the end we were downwind of the feeder and ended having a sounder of 15 or so hogs come in from upwind. We ended up with 4 pigs that night, so alls well that ends well. But in the future, is there a way to hide the smell from the gun?

Yes, yes there is. Shoot a bow

Comment

If they smelled the gun, they smelled you. Don’t worry about it.

Comment

Overthinking it. Play the wind and kill em.

Wind was likely swirling.

Comment

Overthinking it pretty sure if the smell of oil and steel scared deer not many would get hit on the highway

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
            I wanted to get some sage advice on something I can't quite figure out easily. The last couple of times we went out for hogs we went the extra mile spraying ourselves with scent eliminator, then following up with the juice from a can of sweet corn. While we were out there the smell from my gun was very strong, smelling of metal and gun oil. We had a deer approach from somewhat downwind and we're pretty sure it sniffed us out because it cleared its nose and ran off.

In the end we were downwind of the feeder and ended having a sounder of 15 or so hogs come in from upwind. We ended up with 4 pigs that night, so alls well that ends well. But in the future, is there a way to hide the smell from the gun?
            The best smell eliminator is hot lead.

Comment

Guns are designed to be used from the next county. Bows are designed to be used within scent range.

Comment

You are not gonna beat a critters nose. Just hunt the wind the best you can

Comment

They smelled gun oil, sweet corn, scent eliminator and human scent.

Comment

I’d leave all the scent killer and corn juice at the house. Hunt they wind and keep you foot traffic down. Best cover scent on earth is a cow patty to stomp around in by the way.

Comment

haha thanks for the feedback guys. Good advice mixed with humor is always best.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                        I’d leave all the scent killer and corn juice at the house. Hunt they wind and keep you foot traffic down. Best cover scent on earth is a cow patty to stomp around in by the way.
                        This, you cannot eliminate body Odor period, no matter what you do. Play the wind and not worry about anything else. Movement will give you away more times than not.
                        Research what happens right after you get out of a shower. It just might shock you! Not much will kills the odor causing bacteria from a human except Smoke and that is not 100% effective but it works.

Comment

Spray the gun with vanilly!!

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            You are not gonna beat a critters nose. Just hunt the wind the best you can

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Spray the gun with vanilly!!
                              I had success rubbing pea gravel on my stock! It scratches it’s get the new wood smell back!

Just play the wind or set it next to the campfire with you

Comment

Working...
                              X