Let’s talk trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let’s talk trucks

I’m going to be in the market for a new truck in a couple of months. I pull a Small boat and a 16ft trailer at times. A 4x4 is a must. I’ve had GM products my whole life but I’m tired of the transmission issues. Of the last three GMC trucks I’ve had I’ve put in 6 transmissions. I’m just done with GM for now. How are the Fords and Dodge heavy half tons holding up for y’all ?

Tundra. Good ole raw power with lots of reliability and terrific resale
    Last edited by Sleepy; 05-17-2020, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
      Tundra. Good ole raw power with lost of reliability and terrific resale
      I hear gas mileage is really bad is that true ?

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
        I hear gas mileage is really bad is that true ?
        They all suck the gas when pulling a boat or a loaded down trailer.

Tundra is not really bad, but it’s not as high as the competitors MPG either. But a MPG or 2 is worth the perks of have a Toyota for me.

Comment

270k on my Toyota Tundra 5.7 everyday driving I get 16-17 on the highway I get 17-18 pulling a 16’ trailer with my SXS I get 11-12 but it will still pull a house and I’d drive it across country today. Great Trucks.

Comment

You want a truck that's less likely to have problems, get a 3/4 ton or a Toyota or Nissan.

Comment

Buy American, even more so now. Every revenue helps. Yes I know the Tundra is made in San Antonio......but the profits still go to Japan! The Ford is not only better built, but a better truck for comfort, fuel mileage, power and cabin room/layout. Maybe the Toyota has a better resale and maybe not. Who cares about resale value, in all actuality? I'd drive em all and buy what you like. My last 4 trucks have been Fords and every single one has given me 200K+ trouble free miles!

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                Buy American, even more so now. Every revenue helps. Yes I know the Tundra is made in San Antonio......but the profits still go to Japan! The Ford is not only better built, but a better truck for comfort, fuel mileage, power and cabin room/layout. Maybe the Toyota has a better resale and maybe not. Who cares about resale value, in all actuality? I'd drive em all and buy what you like. My last 4 trucks have been Fords and every single one has given me 200K+ trouble free miles!

The UAW doesn’t deserve that sort of loyalty, they’ve been screwing this country for decades. If I could drive a half ton I’d go buy a Toyota tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  The UAW doesn’t deserve that sort of loyalty, they’ve been screwing this country for decades. If I could drive a half ton I’d go buy a Toyota tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Dale what are you diving now ? I was thinking on going up to a 3/4 ton but not sure I really need to. I do pull a tractor but it’s only a mid size.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                    Would you rather the profits go to Japan and the jobs stay in America or the profits stay in America and the jobs go to Mexico and Canada? Lets not forget all the service, sales and mechanic jobs they all bring.

Personally, I think they both have their flaws economically and location wise but I'd rather have the jobs in America and Texas. That anti-Toyota argument in comparison to the others' systems IMO is just weak because in many instances the opposite is true for Ford and Chevy..

My Tundra is roomier than an F-150 as well....and this is coming from a guy who need every inch of a drivers seat. I tried to make a Ford work but it did not. Felt like I was in a vise. That being said I don't hate any brands. Hell I drove a Ford F350 for 19 years.
                    Last edited by Smart; 05-17-2020, 11:11 PM.

Comment

The Tundra is supposed to get a new power plant next year - some sort of hybrid or turbo job from what I heard on the radio a couple times now (on the Car Pro show).

Might be worth waiting for.

My 2011 F-250 gave me 152k 98% trouble free miles- recently traded for a 19 of the same.

My wife's 2016 Ram 1/2 ton is at 50k 100% trouble free miles (knock on wood) - only back to the dealer for oil changes and recall stuff (never noticed anything, but they requested we bring it in for the recalls to be performed).
                      Last edited by DaveC; 05-18-2020, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                        The Tundra is supposed to get a new power plant next year - some sort of hybrid or turbo job from what I heard on the radio a couple times now (on the Car Pro show).

Might be worth waiting for.

My 2011 F-250 gave me 152k 98% trouble free miles- recently traded for a 19 of the same.

My wife's 2016 Ram 1/2 ton is at 50k 100% trouble free miles (knock on wood) - only back to the dealer for oil changes and recall stuff (never noticed anything, but they requested we bring it in for the recalls to be performed).
                        Not next yr, but 2022.
                        Twin turbo v6 is the current rumor.
                        I'll be ready and waiting.
                        Current Tundra will be pushing 300k by then.
                        Rolled 150k last week, and haven't turned a wrench on it.

Comment

I've known a couple of people who have had troubles with Toyota but a whole lot more that have had problems with the others. Maybe because the more people drive Ford, Chevy, or Ram, but the problems I have talked to them about convinced me to get a Tundra. Only have 49K but other than a dead battery it's been a perfect 49K.

Comment

I’ve got a 2016 F-150 with the 5.0. Company truck, gas and oil changes and brake job.
                            195,000 miles no transmission failures. Never changed the plugs, still runs great.

Comment

You gotta compare apples to apples in terms of MPG. The big 3 are running 8 or 10 speed transmissions with high gears. Tundras still have a 6 speed with 4.30s, so of course the mpg isn't gonna be as good. I looked at all of them. The ford 5.0 and Chevy 5.3 I drove were an absolute dog in comparison to a Ram or Toyota. I liked the Tundra better than any of them, so that's what I bought. All the brand loyalty is a waste of time. You get a good one or a POS with any of them, and every company exists solely to get your money.

Comment

Working...
                              X