Poor mans wedding venue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
    Heck, we got married at my church in 1968, had the reception downstairs in the fellowship hall, then my wife and I left on our honeymoon; spent the night in Shreveport, then drove on to New Orleans. This stuff has gotten way out of hand!!!
    Well dang! Other than the destination (went to Silver Dollar City at Branson), wife and I did the same thing in ‘68. One of our gifts from parents was a $50 bill and that paid for lots of fun. That won’t even buy a round of drinks today.

Comment

I would be willing to cater it for cheap. Bbq

Comment

Easiest way to shave cost's is guest count but that only applies to food, alcohol and table cloths. Other cost's are irrelevant to guest count except over 150 2 cops.

Here's sample at our venue. 100 people

venue: $3500 (Saturday)
        catering: $1500-$1800 ($18 person avg served, less not served $15)
        DJ: $750
        Cop, bartender, wedding insurance: $600
        Table cloths: $300
        Photographer: $1500 to infinity
        Flowers: all over the place, when wife does big wedding with lots of flowers $3000 but that's a luxury but can forgo flowers and use greenery, etc...some have cut from home
        Cake: save money go to sams or local bakery then cupcakes $500 or so
        Alcohol: beer, wine (go to sams, trader joes, or total wine) liquor takes some heat off beer and go with basics (whiskey/coke, vodka/mixers) don't have to buy most expensive. Beer go simple 1 premium (shiner,XX) Michelob ultra then coors or miller lite
        $800 approx

adding guests adds approx. $25 per person (food, booze, table cloths)

This speaking for ours, others venue alone can be close to $10,000 or more but generally those folks don't care about what things cost since they've got it.

Our venue will run about what tents, tables and chairs, dance floor plus portapotties. The only real venue cost additional is the $600 for cop, bartender and insurance (though if having alcohol anywhere I would recommend the liability insurance for $200)

Most weddings end up being a family reunion of sorts, I know I'm bummed missing my nieces in Stillwater since all my family will be there but we have one at our place that day....about the only time we all see each other is at a wedding.

We have had a few that honestly had no business getting married at a venue and towards the end they were broke, or their family was. We love the older couples that are paying themselves and are basically throwing a big party for their family and friends and many on their second marriage.

Comment

My inlaws dropped 50k on ours and they are poor. Took loans ect. I always disagreed with that, but who am I..

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
            Easiest way to shave cost's is guest count but that only applies to food, alcohol and table cloths. Other cost's are irrelevant to guest count except over 150 2 cops.

Here's sample at our venue. 100 people

venue: $3500 (Saturday)
            catering: $1500-$1800 ($18 person avg served, less not served $15)
            DJ: $750
            Cop, bartender, wedding insurance: $600
            Table cloths: $300
            Photographer: $1500 to infinity
            Flowers: all over the place, when wife does big wedding with lots of flowers $3000 but that's a luxury but can forgo flowers and use greenery, etc...some have cut from home
            Cake: save money go to sams or local bakery then cupcakes $500 or so
            Alcohol: beer, wine (go to sams, trader joes, or total wine) liquor takes some heat off beer and go with basics (whiskey/coke, vodka/mixers) don't have to buy most expensive. Beer go simple 1 premium (shiner,XX) Michelob ultra then coors or miller lite
            $800 approx

adding guests adds approx. $25 per person (food, booze, table cloths)

This speaking for ours, others venue alone can be close to $10,000 or more but generally those folks don't care about what things cost since they've got it.

Our venue will run about what tents, tables and chairs, dance floor plus portapotties. The only real venue cost additional is the $600 for cop, bartender and insurance (though if having alcohol anywhere I would recommend the liability insurance for $200)

Most weddings end up being a family reunion of sorts, I know I'm bummed missing my nieces in Stillwater since all my family will be there but we have one at our place that day....about the only time we all see each other is at a wedding.

We have had a few that honestly had no business getting married at a venue and towards the end they were broke, or their family was. We love the older couples that are paying themselves and are basically throwing a big party for their family and friends and many on their second marriage.

I wish I had remembered that you owned a venue....,.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              I wish I had remembered that you owned a venue....,.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              I do to, Grayson county raised taxes 26% on me

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                Oh boy.... I bet the drama stories that came with dating a wedding planner is worthy of its own thread!
                You have no idea. All the weddings she did were high end. She wouldn't even plan one that would cost less than 100K. Rich spoiled girls. DRAMA on a whole new level

Comment

Working...
                X