2018 Hagerman C segment hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
    Well hunted till dark. No luck. See you again H. See you again.
    what was the total killed on seg-c

Comment

Originally posted by muzzyslinger View Post
      what was the total killed on seg-c

Last I heard it was 3 bucks and 3 does I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

3 bucks, 6 does

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
          Enjoyed following it

Hope y'all took Monday off from work to recover
          No joke. Man I slept until 10 this morningg, rarity for me. Still feel tired lol. I was hunting with a broken foot, can hardly walk today. We were going 1 1/2 miles in, one way. Hunted hard all day, every day. Its tough on a old guy like me. But would do it again tomorrow!!!!

Comment

I needed to stay home

Comment

Originally posted by Rooty View Post
              3 bucks, 6 does
              These numbers are mis-leading based on the activity described in this thread.

It sounds like hunters were seeing decent deer numbers, and letting young bucks walk.

Congrats and well done Segment C hunters!

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
                These numbers are mis-leading based on the activity described in this thread.

It sounds like hunters were seeing decent deer numbers, and letting young bucks walk.

Congrats and well done Segment C hunters!
                Seg C always has the lowest harvests, pretty normal

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                  I needed to stay home
                  I hunted all weekend on my lease full of feeders and didn't see much. I would have traded my days for your Hag days in a heart beat.

Getting to hunt in the Hag is the real deal.

Comment

At 54yo, took me about a week to recover from Seg b, and my back and shoulders still ache if I move wrong- and I do it all over again, twice this week and trice next week.

Comment

Originally posted by blide View Post
                      I hunted all weekend on my lease full of feeders and didn't see much. I would have traded my days for your Hag days in a heart beat.

Getting to hunt in the Hag is the real deal.

I meant stay home today. I love H.

Comment

Back at work today. No recovery needed but my mind was sure somewhere else. I hunted it till the lights turned off. Thanks for the memories and the lessons. Hope I get to do it again someday. Although I’ve never drawn a tpwd hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by beefiedoubleoh View Post
                          Final tally today ... 14 deer (2 shooters, no open shots), 5 hogs (same group twice, missed a 40 yd shot low), 12 turkeys. Every single one was at full gallop moving fast, never seen anything like it! Possibly best day ever in the woods, except for the empty ice chest. Tomorrow should be even better!
                          Less action on Sunday, but I saw the biggest buck I've seen yet, then killed a doe at 2:30.

Big boy came in from behind my tree. I took a look back after I heard footsteps and had to let him pass by before I could get in position or draw. My draw spooked him (elbow scraped tree & he heard it.) Shame - was a perfect 15 yds quartering away.

After 2 seasons at Hag I have now learned that when you see/hear the slightest movement, get set & draw no matter what. Then once you're drawn you can look & make a shoot/no shoot decision. If you wait to look at what's coming before you get set & draw, you will either spook em or lose your narrow shot window.

That's how I got the doe. Heard them coming down the hill running, stood up and drew immediately. Then I saw spike come through shooting lane and cross - gone. Deer #2 was my doe, and she paused. I had to shift (crouch down a few inches while drawn to maneuver under a limb) then let her have it.

I think I drew 12 times total over 3 days & 11 draws were either spooks or too late. Draw #12 worked. So that my new plan -- draw first, then decide second.

Comment

Sounds like you were in a good spot. Thats more deer action than I've seen on 2 H hunts combined, and these were in the good 'ol days, we did get on the hogs during the ice hunt though

Comment

Nice report beefiedoubleoh, did you get your ticket for next years adventure?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                                Nice report beefiedoubleoh, did you get your ticket for next years adventure?
                                No golden ticket unfortunately. It wasn't a great shot - I hit too high. They were only giving tickets to clean lung/heart shots & mine wasn't. I think a combination of me squatting down to make the shot + overestimating range by 5-ish yds threw off my impact. It would have been nice to get that ticket!

Comment

Working...
                                X