Cotton seed feed search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton seed feed search

Anyone know of a place that sells cotton seed feed in the Quanah, Vernon, Crowell area?

Yes, true Value in Childress if you want to buy by the bag. Can buy in bulk at most cotton gins in that area if you want a pick-up bed full.

You are 30-45 days away from needing to stop feeding.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
      Yes, true Value in Childress if you want to buy by the bag. Can buy in bulk at most cotton gins in that area if you want a pick-up bed full.

You are 30-45 days away from needing to stop feeding.
      Never stop feeding if money allows it

Comment

give one of these 3 a try

Fargo Gin
        17312 County Rd 105 N
        Vernon, TX 76384
        (940) 552-6162

Farmers Co-Op Gin
        1901 Ackerly St.
        Vernon, TX 76384
        (940) 552-6208

Chillicothe Farmers Coop Society
        P.O. Box 300
        Chillicothe, TX 79225
        (940) 852-5361

I will say this is would not surprise me at all if the first one is not closed and has been closed fro a while

It would also not surprise me is one or more of them did not gin this year

Cotton Gins can come and go pretty quick and some years some just do not gin at all and then the next year gin like gang busters

If they have it and will sell it to you it will be in bulk and you better be ready to load yourself though one or more of them might be able to load for you

I am pretty sure that FARMERS COOP in Eldorado, OK ginned this year, but you have to go to Oklahoma for that and well you know...

18587 OK-6, Eldorado, OK 73537
        (580) 633-2274

or there is

Paducah Gin
        323 9th St, Paducah, TX 79248
        (806) 492-2526

One last one.....in Munday and facebook says they are already open this Toesday

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

5030 CR 6009 (324.56 mi)
        Munday, Texas 76371
        (940) 422-4207

Or if you are really desperate and want to pay probably more this place just east of Altus had a few unit trains worth on the ground right now they sell it to California for dairy feed....I doubt they would sell to you though, but who knows buying and selling stuff is what they do

Gavilon Grain LLC
        21080 US-62
        Headrick, OK
        (580) 738-5000

Comment

Call ahead on any of them because the feedlots are buying it up as cattle feed and wiping the gins out. Several gins in the Angelo area do it every year.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
            Anyone know of a place that sells cotton seed feed in the Quanah, Vernon, Crowell area?
            I hunt between Truscott & Crowell and we get our cottonseed from a gin in Knox City. It has always had the best prices, plus we drive through there on our way up.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              Never stop feeding if money allows it
              That is the great debate. Not worth the risk to me or my deer herd that we have spent thousands of dollars on developing and improving.

The Macy Ledbetter version:

"Fourth, and certainly most important, cottonseed creates a condition called gossypol toxicity. Gossypol is a chemical found in the seed that will actually render all male animals sterile. Yes, sterile, as in no babies made that year. However, the gossypol will leave the animal’s system once it stops eating the cottonseed, and fertility will return. So, ranches that feed cottonseed MUST remove the feed, or stop feeding it, as the bucks remove the velvet from their antlers. This timing gives the gossypol time to pass through the buck’s system and leave before he begins producing live sperm. Remember: the only time a buck produces live sperm is while he is in hard antler. I have seen several ranches that either didn’t believe it or forgot to stop feeding cottonseed before hard antler and they actually had zero fawns produced that entire year. Talk about hard on a deer management program."

Comment

I buy at Paducah gin. Won’t have any till late October.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's going to be troublesome to go that route. I'll just stick with the roasted soybeans lol.

Comment

We have bagged cotton seed but we are located in Decatur.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                      That is the great debate. Not worth the risk to me or my deer herd that we have spent thousands of dollars on developing and improving.

The Macy Ledbetter version:

"Fourth, and certainly most important, cottonseed creates a condition called gossypol toxicity. Gossypol is a chemical found in the seed that will actually render all male animals sterile. Yes, sterile, as in no babies made that year. However, the gossypol will leave the animal’s system once it stops eating the cottonseed, and fertility will return. So, ranches that feed cottonseed MUST remove the feed, or stop feeding it, as the bucks remove the velvet from their antlers. This timing gives the gossypol time to pass through the buck’s system and leave before he begins producing live sperm. Remember: the only time a buck produces live sperm is while he is in hard antler. I have seen several ranches that either didn’t believe it or forgot to stop feeding cottonseed before hard antler and they actually had zero fawns produced that entire year. Talk about hard on a deer management program."
                      That view is outdated and no longer a debate for people with a free ranging deer herd

Comment

I've fed cottonseed year round for 5 years and never saw a decrease in fawn numbers. actually there has been a slight uptick this year.

Comment

Cotton seed feed search

Hell I would stop feeding cottonseed by the end of August anyway just so I can get them coming to corn and timed protein in the daylight. I’m more interested in my daytime attractants than providing them with something to eat at night during season.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                            That view is outdated and no longer a debate for people with a free ranging deer herd
                            This is “ our” endless debate on the ranches I run

IMO Your correct the information is obsolete, and so we feed cotton seed
                            Year round , and find our herds are consistent in weight and horn growth, Birth rates and early fawn growth. I personally think cotton seed is much superior then average protein feed. That being said I keep it in the pasture and never ever let run out

Y’all bust a monster this year

Comment

Double Down feed is some of the best protein out there! Buck stop in Hico is one of the best locations to pick up this feed. Cotton seed base and our deer love it in Paducah. We have seen some major growth this summer. Lott’s True Value in Childress is also a great location to get a variety of feed. He now sells straight soybean bags. We mix this with corn on our own and get a better quality mix for our deer. By deer season we will got to mostly soybean and corn mix. Deer will tear it up!
                              If you hunt near Paducah and need information related to deer feed, lodging or other hunting related information follow us on Facebook at Paducah Hunters. I’m from there and hunt there. Also hope to soon open Buck Springs Lodge in Paducah.

Comment

Working...
                              X