Slow start to my season.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow start to my season.....

Things finally picked up when I made the yearly journey to Kansas. I hunted hard for a solid week. All day sits in some brutally cold temps as low as 7 degrees one morning. I saw at least one good buck everyday except one. They were chasing hard the first couple days. Getting one to stop wasn’t happening :knothead:
    I was on the honeybun stand and a tall tuned 8pt came trotting in at a fast pace, I couldn’t get to my feet in time (I hate shooting from a sitting position) I grabbed my bow and started twisting in my seat to prepare for a shot while bleating and he slowed to a stop at 10 yards but caught me at the end of my draw cycle and immediately bounded away :dunno:
    The winds had been south for the first 6 days, finally I was going to get a north wind and I’d get to hunt a spot that the bucks cruise looking for does.
    I setup my stand Thursday afternoon and not 15 minutes later a nice 8pt comes cruising through. He was just a 2-1/2 yr old so I let him walk. Saw 5 bucks that evening, was in that stand an hour before first light the next morning.
    As darkness gave way to the red glow of the sun creeping it’s way up, I spot a deer on the horizon. I grab my binoculars and focus them in, wow it’s a Hammer of a buck! He’s just standing there not moving. I figure he has to have a hot doe nearby. I finally spot her just her head visible over the rise of the cut wheat field. They stay there for about 30 minutes and before the sun crests the ridge the doe bolts with the huge buck hot on her tail. They disappear into the cover. Well I have a stand hung up that way and start kicking myself for not being in it. An hour passes with only a small 8pt feeding across the field, then I see a buck to my NW! He’s cruising and at first looks like he’s coming right in. There’s a brush pile and if he passes to the right he’s coming into the pocket, left and he’s likely to pass out of range. I throw a grunt at him to hopefully keep him on the right track. He throws his head up giving me a good look at his rack. He definitely at least 3-1/2 and a good buck! It’s one of those crisp still mornings where the slightest rustle of your clothing can give up your location. So I’m still as can be but trying to prepare my feet for his chosen direction so as to be ready when he’s in the kill zone. Well he turned left and now I have to twist for a possible chance if he follows the berm. If he doesn’t he will pass safely out of range. As luck would have it he comes down the berm! I only have one opening through the branches to make it happen and he won’t be perfectly broadside :scared: As he gets to the last window of opportunity I start to draw and he stops and throws his head up looking in my direction for the source of the sound. I’m stuck at quarter draw not daring to let down :help:
    After a few seconds he puts his head down to smell the ground and I come to anchor and hold for him to turn just a little more to give me a better angle. He makes another step and it’s now or no shot at all. I let the string slip from my fingers and watched the arrow tipped with a Magnus Classic Single Bevel hit a little farther back than I’d hoped :banghead:
    He bolts for about 20 yards to the edge of the timber and stops. I watch and listen, he takes a few more steps towards the creek, I see his *** end waiver ray: I see his rack rock side to side then he disappears with the slightest sound of leaves swish
    I stand there listening and glassing for an hour, nothing! Not a sound not a sight of him! :dunno: I knew I’d hit back on a slightly quartering too deer and the exit would be back. I had to wait, I glassed and glassed but for the life of me couldn’t see a hair nor an antler...... I waited and I waited. I sat there for 3-1/2 hours from 7:30 till 11 then I climbed down quietly as I could. Took my boots off, nocked an arrow and started tip toeing towards where I had last seen him. I’d take a few steps then glass, repeat. I got to the area I thought he was and nothing is there! I’m thinking man there’s no way he left here without me seeing or hearing him ...... the creek is to my right so I think maybe he went there. I ease closer then I spot blood right on the edge! I ease closer and I see him in the creek dead! Whew what a relief :notworthy:
    I can only figure is that he was standing on the creek bank as he tipped over dead he slide down the embankment into the water without and kicking or struggling that’s why there was not big ruckus as he fell. He was dead in seconds!
    My stories are usually short and sweet so I hope I didn’t bore you all with the long detailed events that unfolded. I do have private land that I hunt in Kansas but I got this guy on a small overlooked piece of public that I frequent during weekdays when I feel I’ve put too much pressure on the private land. Thanks coming along. Good luck to you all
    The shot was 15 yards with my Palmer Longbow 47#@26” 64” amo
    Goldtip 3555 with 100gr brass insert and a 150gr Magnus Classic 554gr total arrow weight.

Great buck - enjoyed your story!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      Great buck - enjoyed your story!
      Ditto ^^^^^^^^, congrats

Comment

Nice buck Corey, great write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats again, Corey! He’s a dandy buck!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats, that is awesome!

Comment

Pretty buck. Congrats on the short track.
              Good write up as well.

Gary

Comment

What a great buck, congrats!!!

Comment

Thanks for taking us along, great buck and story!

Comment

Nice one! Congrats sir!

Comment

Way to go Corey!

Comment

Awesome buck Corey!! Congrats!!

Comment

Cool buck...great story telling.

Comment

Great buck, enjoyed the read.

Comment

nice, congrats