Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long is too long to leave meat on ice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long is too long to leave meat on ice?

A buddy of mine has had his deer meat on ice for 7 days now. Isn't that a little long?

As long as it's been kept cold and not sitting in the water it should be fine.

Comment

I have aged mine 10 days before on ice with drain open and it was great.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
        As long as it's been kept cold and not sitting in the water it should be fine.

I understand sitting in the cold cold ice water is good for about 3 to 4 days.. Is this incorrect??

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
          I have aged mine 10 days before on ice with drain open and it was great.

Same here. Do it with every deer

Comment

As long as it has been iced well it'll be fine. I usually age meat longer than that, but not in an ice chest. I have hung whole deer in a walk in cooler to age for 7-9 days. Never had a problem. I age backstraps and roasts in a fridge for at least a week. Never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
              A buddy of mine has had his deer meat on ice for 7 days now. Isn't that a little long?
              Not at all. I prefer mine to be on ice 7 to 10 days. But you need to drain the water everyday. If the meat sits in water it's not as good. I have gone 14 or so days with no problem.

Comment

I like to ice mine for at least a week. Meat stays in big zip-lok bags and are drained of blood once a day. Ice is packed on top and more ice is brought in as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by blood-sport View Post
                  I understand sitting in the cold cold ice water is good for about 3 to 4 days.. Is this incorrect??
                  Clean water. You have to drain the blood off the meat.

OP, I leave mine for 7 days regularly. Usually shoot for 3-4 but 7 won't hurt as long as he's kept the blood drained off and kept it cold.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                    Not at all. I prefer mine to be on ice 7 to 10 days. But you need to drain the water everyday. If the meat sits in water it's not as good. I have gone 14 or so days with no problem.
                    X2 I do this with every deer I kill

Comment

I normally do 7 to 10 days draining daily. Additionally, I have a wire shelf in the bottom keeping the meat at least an inch off the bottom.

The last deer I killed, the backstraps were placed in ziplocks and kept for 15 days.

Hoping for one more next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post

Comment

I've gone as long as 11-12 days with no issues. I like 5-7 but life got it the way for a few days and I just kept draining and adding ice.

Comment

OK cool. Learned something today! I'll get a told you so from my buddy now lol.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X