Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeding protein - how big a financial commitment ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeding protein - how big a financial commitment ?

I am considering starting to feed protein on a 500 acre lease and I'm wondering about cost. For instance if we set up just one protein feeder and keep it full from now until summer what kind of $$ are we talking about? I know there are a lot of variables - (size of the herd, etc) but I am looking for a range of what it might cost. Are we taking about hundreds of dollars or thousands?

One feeder would be anywhere from $300-$1,200 would be my guess depending on how many deer you have and what feed you go with.

Comment

1,000lbs x 5months = 5,000lbs /50lbs = 100bags x $12.50 = $1,250.00

Comment

I started typing a real long response. Check you PM'S for my phone number

Comment

We feed February to September protein and then switch to corn. First, is the going to be a free feeding feeder or a timed feeder? They can eat a lot of protein out of the free style..

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            I am considering starting to feed protein on a 500 acre lease and I'm wondering about cost. For instance if we set up just one protein feeder and keep it full from now until summer what kind of $$ are we talking about? I know there are a lot of variables - (size of the herd, etc) but I am looking for a range of what it might cost. Are we taking about hundreds of dollars or thousands?
            How is the deer density on that property? Last year on 600 acres we fed around 14,000 pounds of protein between 3 free choice feeders. That was between Jan. 25th and August 15th with a few time periods where feeders were empty for a few days between fillings.
            Last edited by Patton; 01-05-2016, 02:32 PM.

Comment

on 300 I would go through about 500# a month of so

Comment

Are you doing to attract and or hold deer, antler growth or both?

Just curious as we've been talking about the starting also.

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                  How is the deer density on that property? Last year on 600 acres we fed around 14,000 pounds of protein between 3 free choice feeders.
                  I would say deer density is average at best. However we don't know for sure because we have only hunted a few spots. (first season on the lease) There's about 200 acres that is very thick and we have not scouted it thoroughly yet. My thought is to put a free choice protein feeder on the edge of the thick stuff - maybe that will give us a better idea of what is wandering around the place

Comment

We have a small 200 acre place and have 3 feeders that hold 1,000lbs total. I would say our deer denisty is average. Around 20-25 deer that consistently hold on the property.
                    We feed a little over 7,000 lbs from Feb 1 - September when it went empty.
                    That's around 140 bag at $10.50 would be almost $1,500.
                    We are increasing our feeder size this year to hold a total of 2,000lbs because there were times it was empty for almost a week before we could fill.

Comment

I was talking to my neighbor about this. They have 1500 acres and protein bill was almost $8k. More than I wanted to spend.

Comment

If you are not high fenced you will more than likely be feeding your neighbors deer as well. Unless they are also feeding. On my ranch a one ton protein feeder averages one fill per month. Eight months equals 16,000 pounds.

Comment

If you commit to it, be sure you commit fully.. and don't just do it to attract deer..
                          1) build a pen..with hog panels..good corners..barb wire if you have cattle on the property.
                          2) get a quality feeder (I would suggest more than one..but that depends on the size of your area)
                          3) set a filling/topping off schedule - stick to it religiously - don't let them go empty.
                          4) use quality protein - encapsulated stuff that resists gumming up (Antler Max/Record Rack etc) will reduce the amount of waste you have from spillage/condensation/birds kicking it out of the tubes, etc.. nothing sucks worse than having protein gummed up and clogging the feeder...except to find a pile of moldy stinky gunk below the feeder a foot deep because nothing will eat it.

In addition to the feeder, make sure you have a good water source on the property.

How much they hit it will depend a lot on the amount of forage/browse they have.
                          This was our greenest year ever..but we were still pleasantly surprised to see them at the P-feeders every night.. totally expected the participation to be down more than it was.
                          Last edited by systemnt; 01-05-2016, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            we fed three 350lb feeders free choice a few years ago oon 600 acres on the Young/Throckmorton ctny line. The 3 feeders were emptied in 5-7 days during the summer. That is basically 1,000lbs of feed every week, which is 2 tons per month. With a ton being $350-$400 that was $700-$800/month for feed all to make a bunch of deer that we didn't own a little healthier/heavier and have a little bit larger antlers. Not anywhere near worth that kind of $ to me. I could have that $ making money somewhere instead of being pitched down the drain all for the sake of a little better deer.

Comment

Its is all going to depend on green up and amount of forage present as to how much of the protein deer will eat. That then as you said deer numbers, price or whatever feed you supplement with etc... Worst bill I saw when I was feeding was about $1,200/month that was 3 gravity feeders holding around 850lbs apiece filling them every 3-4weeks closer to 3 weeks on 2000acres. A good average to base filling frequencies on that I have seen would be 3 weeks for feeders holding around 1000lbs. If you don't already have a feeder then there is probably $1000 right there give or take based on size and quality of the feeder. This year if you have been in a wetter area you should have a pretty good green up which could keep the deer on natural vegetation and off the protein as much. So the feed would probably last longer. If you want to stay on a budget consider just feeding until everything gets good and green then stop and wait until things begin to dry up in the summer and then fill your feeders again. Those are the main periods of deficiency. I would also put out a few mineral stations on the property especially near spots like feeders and waterings where deer are used to visiting. When you go to buy feed be sure to check for a tonnage price or a price break for buying by the ton. Be ready to be feeding every little critter that can get to the feed also. You will have some B&C coons I promise lol.
                              Last edited by DuramaxDude; 01-05-2016, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X