Bobcat Forestry Attachment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobcat Forestry Attachment?

Anyone ever rented or used a forestry mulcher for a skid steer? Wondering if it’s something I could do with minimal experience and good common sense?? Thanks in advance....

Btw I have a property outside Bastrop I’m looking to start cleaning up and carving some roads through.

It’s not hard to figure out. Not much of a learning curve to it. I’d say within 1-2 hours you’d be just fine at it, provided you have atleast some experience running equipment. After having a mulching business for going on a year now, as a customer, you need to really ask yourself if a mulcher is the best option versus a small dozer. I have no idea what they cost to rent, but my day rate is $1350/8hrs now. You can hire a dozer for $100-$125 per hour and he will accomplish way more than you ever could in a day on a mulcher. Just weigh out your costs on one vs the other. If you are just wanting to underbrush, clear thickets, briars, blackberries, etc...... a mulcher is great. Once you start trying to consistently clear 3”-4” plus size timber, a mulcher is not the way to go. I constantly face this issue with customers. They want me to do work that is better suited for a dozer. I still do it for them, but it’s just not very cost efficient for them. Also, if the CTL/mulcher combo you decide to rent isn’t a high flow model, don’t waste your time or money. If you have anymore questions, I’d be happy to help if I can. BTW.....im not in your area so I’m not trying to get any business from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
      It’s not hard to figure out. Not much of a learning curve to it. I’d say within 1-2 hours you’d be just fine at it, provided you have atleast some experience running equipment. After having a mulching business for going on a year now, as a customer, you need to really ask yourself if a mulcher is the best option versus a small dozer. I have no idea what they cost to rent, but my day rate is $1350/8hrs now. You can hire a dozer for $100-$125 per hour and he will accomplish way more than you ever could in a day on a mulcher. Just weigh out your costs on one vs the other. If you are just wanting to underbrush, clear thickets, briars, blackberries, etc...... a mulcher is great. Once you start trying to consistently clear 3”-4” plus size timber, a mulcher is not the way to go. I constantly face this issue with customers. They want me to do work that is better suited for a dozer. I still do it for them, but it’s just not very cost efficient for them. Also, if the CTL/mulcher combo you decide to rent isn’t a high flow model, don’t waste your time or money. If you have anymore questions, I’d be happy to help if I can. BTW.....im not in your area so I’m not trying to get any business from you.

listen to this guy he is spot on.. I wish the guys that mulched my place a few yrs ago would have given me this info, now I have tons of large chunks of cedar everywhere mixed with dirt and rock..
      flat tires and no way grass will grow in just weeds lol
      I would def try to doze and remove if you can.

Comment

Working...
      X