Meat Hauler Pack Fit Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Hauler Pack Fit Question

I’ve got a Mystery Ranch Mule, it is sized correct for me, I’ve been training with it loaded at 26 lbs, treadmill between 15-30 degrees, 1.6 mph, problem I’m having is my hips get pain, high side, anyone have advice on how high on the hips should the belt ride? How tight should the belt be? Im 57 years young that could be some of it, thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by hammackc View Post
    I’ve got a Mystery Ranch Mule, it is sized correct for me, I’ve been training with it loaded at 26 lbs, treadmill between 15-30 degrees, 1.6 mph, problem I’m having is my hips get pain, high side, anyone have advice on how high on the hips should the belt ride? How tight should the belt be? Im 57 years young that could be some of it, thanks in advance

I would suggest the Rokslide forum for questions like this. It's a forum dedicated to Western-style hunting where meat hauling is more prevalent. Here's a link directly to their backpack specific page. You can probably find your answer searching, or copy-paste this to a new post and get a lot more/better responses. Many of the users use the Mystery Ranch Mule, too.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/forums/backpacks.16/

Comment

Will do

Comment

I have a little experience backpacking and hunting with the Mystery Ranch Pintler in the backcountry, but haven't had any issues. I've always used the rule-of-thumb to adjust the shoulders first, then tighten to hip belt to take the weight off my shoulders. I've heard it should be 80% of the weight on the hips, 20% on the shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerslayersh View Post
          I have a little experience backpacking and hunting with the Mystery Ranch Pintler in the backcountry, but haven't had any issues. I've always used the rule-of-thumb to adjust the shoulders first, then tighten to hip belt to take the weight off my shoulders. I've heard it should be 80% of the weight on the hips, 20% on the shoulders.

Should it be riding on the flesh of the hips or on top of hips?

Comment

For me it’s on top of the hips always. Snug the shoulder straps first and then the waist just enough to hold in place.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Tarleton Jake View Post
              For me it’s on top of the hips always. Snug the shoulder straps first and then the waist just enough to hold in place.

Jake

That helped, I think it’s on the right track, got it on top of my hips, got on the treadmill and much better, now if I could knock off 25 years!

Comment

You want the center of the hip belt to wrap around the top of your hip bones. In most cases that means the buckle is more or less over your belly button.

I’m not necessarily saying to overdo it on weight and strain something, but you can get away with a lot of misadjustment at 26 lbs and the packs can move around a bit rather than settling in. If you put 40/45 lbs in it it amplifies problem areas very quickly and small adjustments are apparent.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                  You want the center of the hip belt to wrap around the top of your hip bones. In most cases that means the buckle is more or less over your belly button.

I’m not necessarily saying to overdo it on weight and strain something, but you can get away with a lot of misadjustment at 26 lbs and the packs can move around a bit rather than settling in. If you put 40/45 lbs in it it amplifies problem areas very quickly and small adjustments are apparent.
                  Gator is correct on the fit of the belt. Across the hip bones, you want your bone structure carrying the bulk of the weight. I prefer to bend over at the waist and snug up the hip belt then stand up with the weight on my hips and tighten the shoulder straps. That way I know the weight is on my hips and the shoulder straps are just holding the pack to my back.

As far as weight while working out I disagree, but it's complicated. He is correct that you need to carry the pack with more of a real weight load to get it truly settled in and get the feel of the pack. Do this a couple of times for shorter distances, 1 mile will tell you what you need to know. Be ready to drop the pack several times and make adjustments while doing this for the first time. I would do that outside and if possible with a friend that can help you get the pack off and on.

For regular work on the treadmill the 25 lbs range is perfect. Just enough weight to engage your core and back muscles but not enough to put strain on your lower limbs while working up strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                    Gator is correct on the fit of the belt. Across the hip bones, you want your bone structure carrying the bulk of the weight. I prefer to bend over at the waist and snug up the hip belt then stand up with the weight on my hips and tighten the shoulder straps. That way I know the weight is on my hips and the shoulder straps are just holding the pack to my back.

As far as weight while working out I disagree, but it's complicated. He is correct that you need to carry the pack with more of a real weight load to get it truly settled in and get the feel of the pack. Do this a couple of times for shorter distances, 1 mile will tell you what you need to know. Be ready to drop the pack several times and make adjustments while doing this for the first time. I would do that outside and if possible with a friend that can help you get the pack off and on.

For regular work on the treadmill the 25 lbs range is perfect. Just enough weight to engage your core and back muscles but not enough to put strain on your lower limbs while working up strength.

Appreciate the help!

Comment

Kifaru has some good YouTube videos on how to properly adjust the pack. Most people have the hip belt too low. I was guilty of this myself. On the treadmill carrying 50-55 pounds, the top/front of my left hip would begin to burn/hurt. I had the belt too low and it was riding on a nerve on that side. As stated above, put the pack on, bend over slightly at the waist, cinch up the belt pretty snug, then stand up and adjust the shoulder straps. This gets the pack oriented higher on your hips initially, then you can loosen/tighten the belt as needed once you are upright.

I disagree with some on the weight to train with. I train with the weight of a real load. If you train with 25 pounds all year long, once you get in the high country with 60 pounds on your back, the weight alone is going to be a shock. Add in the altitude and you are going to be struggling. Maybe you don’t plan to carry 60 pounds, but none the less, train with what you plan to carry on a hunt.

Comment

The reason I recommend not training with only heavy weights in a pack is there are a lot safer ways to train your legs for doing the work of pushing your body plus the weight of the pack up the hill without the possibility of injury that having the pack on gives you. You are using three groups of muscles, your legs for driving you up the mountain, your core and back for stability.

Putting the pack on with 25 lbs causes the core to tighten and the back muscles to engage. Putting 60 lbs in the pack doesn't do any more for those muscle groups and only opens up the possibility for other injuries.

So exercise your legs in a safer manor with a lower possibility of injuring your back and get more done in a shorter period of time. Traditional weight lifting exercises, squats and dead lifts, when done properly let you get more done in a shorter period of time in a safer manor. Then mix in stairs and box jumps and finish the week with a single long slow ruck with weight. Slowly build this long slow ruck in both length and weight carried till you get to your goal weight.

Comment

The reason I recommend not training with only heavy weights in a pack is there are a lot safer ways to train your legs for doing the work of pushing your body plus the weight of the pack up the hill without the possibility of injury that having the pack on gives you. You are using three groups of muscles, your legs for driving you up the mountain, your core and back for stability.

Putting the pack on with 25 lbs causes the core to tighten and the back muscles to engage. Putting 60 lbs in the pack doesn't do any more for those muscle groups and only opens up the possibility for other injuries.

So exercise your legs in a safer manor with a lower possibility of injuring your back and get more done in a shorter period of time. Traditional weight lifting exercises, squats and dead lifts, when done properly let you get more done in a shorter period of time in a safer manor. Then mix in stairs and box jumps and finish the week with a single long slow ruck with weight. Slowly build this long slow ruck in both length and weight carried till you get to your goal weight.

This is how I’m needing to do it, I’m 57 yrs, 32 yrs power line industry, I’ve got some worn body parts that ain’t getting better, I however am hunting with a 39 year old current lineman who’s a moose! Thanks guy’s for all the advice

Comment

I agree mostly

I would throw in heavy weight a few times though especially with some bleachers just to make sure you’re knees and ankles handle the shift and weight. I would much rather blow out my knee in a football stadium than a mountain. It’s not safer on the workout but having an issue at home is safer than wilderness

Comment

To be clear, I'm not saying you should never carry heavy weight, just that carrying heavy weight shouldn't be your only exercise method for preparing for the mountains. Absolutely build in heavy weight ruck's into your schedule, maybe once a week, and build up the weight till you are at your goal.

Comment

Working...
                              X