No announcement yet.

What yardage for pins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It probably would be a bit cluttered to put all in 20 yds. I could move a pin or two down to practice further out. I do have a pretty long dovetail that helps some with the pin gap.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
      That's the problem I have. My eyes aren't great, and if I had 5 pins, chances are they'd "melt together"
      Agree, I use a single pin sight due to this

Comment

At your bows specs turbo 5 pins between 20-40 would completely cover your target picture. This is not ideal at all. If you must use a fixed pin sight 3 Pin would be a lot more user friendly

Comment

I would get rid of one pin and go with 15, 25, 35 and 40.

Comment

20,30, and 40. Move the others down and out of the way. People tend to way over think this and try all kinds of weird settings, but the secret is 20, 30, 40 and learn your drops. Once you shoot it a bit it will be second nature. I just moved from pins for 3d and am still trying to get the single pin working as well for me as multiple pins. I know the single will eventually be better, but there is a learning curve. But any way, the guy who won state and the asa classic in hunter class last year had his sight set 20,30,40
            Last edited by RJH1; 05-09-2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

When I used to shoot a lot of 3D shoots as a teenager I used a five pin sight with success. I had them split 20 25 30 35 40. These days I shoot a Spot Hogg double pin. With the center pin on 20, the bottom is about 35. After switching to this sight, I can't imagine going back to a multi pin setup. The sight picture is clutter free and accuracy has improved. Good luck!

Comment

One other thing, assuming you're shooting ASA, try to get that bow up to about 284 foot per second. That will flatten your trajectory and make your gaps and drops much easier to manage

Comment

Guy at sight company told me they like top pin at 25 to cover 20-30, 2nd 35 for 30-40 and so on, cuts down on pin clutter, bow speed is a must.

Comment

20,30,35,40,45-50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

20,27,34,40 for 40yd setup
                      20,27,34,40,45 for 45yd setup
                      This is what I do for 3D hunting setup and use .010 pins to avoid cluttered sight pic.
                      only need 4 pins not 5 if shooting 275-288fps range. You hardly have targets at 25,30,35 yards. They're always a couple yards either way so in reality the majority of your shots you can pick a pin, hold it dead center and still hit 10's if you know yardage with the setup I use. From my years of 3D shooting a huge majority of my targets are in 32-36yd range and 26-29yd range. I've been successful over the years with this setup for competition. For hunting only I do 20,30,40,etc
                      Last edited by splitbeam145; 05-21-2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                        20,30, and 40. Move the others down and out of the way. People tend to way over think this and try all kinds of weird settings, but the secret is 20, 30, 40 and learn your drops. Once you shoot it a bit it will be second nature. I just moved from pins for 3d and am still trying to get the single pin working as well for me as multiple pins. I know the single will eventually be better, but there is a learning curve. But any way, the guy who won state and the asa classic in hunter class last year had his sight set 20,30,40
                        For the guy who won the hunter class at state and Classic congrats.
                        That is also a known distance class so it can be easier to learn your drop when you know the distance. But when you don't know the distance I've learned my setup with pins in shorter yard increments seems to work better for me when gunning for 12's in unknown class like Hunter Elite that I shot last year due to easier pin placement in relation to 12 rings location. I've done the 20,30,40 setup and the 20,27,34,40 setup for years. The 2nd setup works better for me. Also I shoot the .010 pins which helps eliminate cluttered sight pic.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                          For the guy who won the hunter class at state and Classic congrats.
                          That is also a known distance class so it can be easier to learn your drop when you know the distance. But when you don't know the distance I've learned my setup with pins in shorter yard increments seems to work better for me when gunning for 12's in unknown class like Hunter Elite that I shot last year due to easier pin placement in relation to 12 rings location. I've done the 20,30,40 setup and the 20,27,34,40 setup for years. The 2nd setup works better for me. Also I shoot the .010 pins which helps eliminate cluttered sight pic.
                          I guess it is just a what works for the individual type thing. I have tried a setup like yours and and the pins were basically on top of each other. I liked 20,30, 40 better even back when hunter was half known and half unknown. But I still knew my drops and if a target was 27 or 33, or whatever I had a pretty good idea of where to put my pins and could generally pick a good aiming point because of the lack of clutter. But there was only person named Casey shooting state last year in hunter elite, and it looks like his pin setup is working for him, so I wouldn't argue with it or try to get him to change. Nice shooting

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                            I guess it is just a what works for the individual type thing. I have tried a setup like yours and and the pins were basically on top of each other. I liked 20,30, 40 better even back when hunter was half known and half unknown. But I still knew my drops and if a target was 27 or 33, or whatever I had a pretty good idea of where to put my pins and could generally pick a good aiming point because of the lack of clutter. But there was only person named Casey shooting state last year in hunter elite, and it looks like his pin setup is working for him, so I wouldn't argue with it or try to get him to change. Nice shooting
                            YEP!! Experimentation is the biggest thing to find what works for YOU! I think we can both agree 5 pins for a 40yd setup is too much for a upper speed bow. And thanks on complement.

Comment

Awesome info in here. Thanks y’all

Comment

When I shot in Hunter class I used five pins - every five yards from 20 - 40. Still do on my hunting rig, just with a movable.

I liked the pin gaps I had and having a pin set for more exact yardages.

If you don’t like your pin gaps, try moving your sight closer, or further, to the riser. If now you can’t align your sight ring with your peep, try a different peep aperture/peep.

Like as mentioned before, and for ALL things archery really, play around and find what works for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X