Wooden wedding ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wooden wedding ring

Just finished up a wooden wedding ring made from African padauk. Coated in olive oil and then finished with CA and sanded to 2000 grit and then buffed with 12000 grit micro mesh cloth.

It looks okay, I was able to get a shiny type finish but, being my first ring, I see a lot of imperfections and areas for improvement. Oh well, it was fun!

Thanks for looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work.
    Last edited by TP3; 11-10-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Looks pretty dang good to me! Great work.

Comment

That's awesome! It's funny you would post it just now, too. I've been watching a lot of views on YouTube lately with people making rings, and it has me wanting to give it a try. I don't have a lathe, though. I don't even wear rings, but I still want to make one!

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
          That's awesome! It's funny you would post it just now, too. I've been watching a lot of views on YouTube lately with people making rings, and it has me wanting to give it a try. I don't have a lathe, though. I don't even wear rings, but I still want to make one!

I don’t have a lathe either! I start with a 2x2 piece approx. 1/4 in thick. Cut the corners with a coping saw and drill the hole in the middle. Then use a dremel to round out a rough shape. For my lathe I use the dremel sanding drum, cover with masking tape and mount the “ring” to it and spin away.

Thanks fellas!

Comment

That’s cool!

Comment

Nice!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice work of art You just might have something going for you

Comment

nice job

Comment

I appreciate it fellas. I’m going to play with some more exotic woods and see what I can come up with

Comment

Looks great to me!

Comment

Looks pretty cool too me

Comment

Looks awesome! I do have to wonder tho, how would you harden it or what type of wood would you use to make it not so fragile? Excuse my ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                            Looks awesome! I do have to wonder tho, how would you harden it or what type of wood would you use to make it not so fragile? Excuse my ignorance.
                            Great question, this African padauk is considered a hardwood and from what I have read is pretty stout compared to some other woods, but will still be inherently weaker than most rings made of other materials. I have tried to keep it a reasonable thickness and not as thin as my wedding ring that you see there and the couple coats of CA is supposed to get into the pores and "harden" the wood making it stronger and resistant to cracking and becoming scratched.

Comment

Check out cactus juice used with a vacuum to inject it into the ring. Will make it stronger.

Comment

Working...
                              X