My 11 year hunt ends.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 11 year hunt ends.

Those of you that know me have heard me say for years that all I want is a 10 point. Let’s start by saying I’ve seen Several over the years, but from not getting a shot, not being old enough, no confidence in my shot, and worst of all ageing one wrong it’s just never happened.
    Over the last few years I’ve seen two kids get nice 10’s on my lease and one person stuck one that was 3.5 that I let walk many times.

Fast forward to this season. When I got to camp my friend ,Kactuskiller, told me coons had torn up one feeder and another feeder had a timer go bad. between the feeders and the hot weather I was losing hope. I told myself it’s a long season so let’s just see how this weekend goes. Saturday Morning my kid went to my favorite spot, where he had seen a ton of deer, and had a good sit. The same thing happened when I got to my stand, I found coons in the feeder cage and the door slammed on the stand. All I could say was “oh well at least I saw a few deer and couple okay bucks.

I met up with Jack and he said that Brandon got ghost 10. So we went and helped out.
    The whole time all I could think was why me, why poor pity me. I then told Jack that I had the 10 itch bad.After breakfast Jack showed me pictures of a 10 that was a frequent flyer at his setup and asked if I wanted him. I was overly excited and quickly accepted the offer.

The time came to head to the stand and my adrenaline started rushing. Jack was going to sit with me so I would not convince myself not to shoot. As we walked to the stand I was going through every scenario on this shot for this deer. After 30 minutes of sitting the dinner bell went off and ten minutes later there were 9 bucks and 4 does eating. I spotted a big deer 200 yards out and tapped Jacks knee, he glassed it and said “that’s him, get ready” my first thought was that it was the deer he had on his hit list, but it was mine. I turned myself in the seat, got my bow in place and watched him continue to the dinner table. When he was at 50 yards he stopped and started looking around, “no biggie” I thought, we have plenty of time, then from nowhere a deer next to the stand I can’t see blows! I thought a train came by and just like that all the deer were gone. My deer went back about 300 yards in the brush and my heart dropped. I told Jack it’s over. He assured me he would be back although inside I felt like Jack was saying “too bad that deer is gone.” Within a couple of minutes the deer stepped out and started toward us however the deer was in no hurry. I told Jack there is not enough time and once again he assured me there was plenty of time. He said just get ready, relax, and breathe. Within less than 10 minutes the deer was at the feeder and broadside. I released the arrow and what seemed to be an eternity the arrow flew 22yards and hit him hard. He made a donkey kick and ran. Jack said he saw blood pumping from him and that the deer was dead and not far away.
    We watched video of the shot and the reality hit, Only thing left to do was to find him. I checked my watch for time and noticed my heart rate was 176 ( had to look at app on phone ).

The search went for about 75 yards and we found him laying in the open. It was a done deal, 11 years of hunting a 10 came to an end. Jack went to go get the truck and had me stay to catch my breath. I had a long talk with God thanking him for all the great things that he did for me to be able to do this. I then talked with my step dad that was watching from heaven and knew how much I always wanted a big 10. I started crying with emotions mixed all over.

I can’t thank Jack enough and could not have wanted anyone other than him with me. I Also want to thank Brandon for all your help after.
    Attached Files

Congrats!

Comment

nice buddy

Comment

Great story, congrats!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Nice! Congrats … BUT … Where are the pics?!

EDIT: Forgive me. See it now. I am viewing from work and always have trouble. Typically with embedded videos though. Don't I look like a dummy?!
            Last edited by BlackHogDown; 10-04-2018, 07:31 AM.

Comment

great job

Comment

Good for you. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats! Good looking buck.

Comment

Congrats on ending a long quest.

Comment

That is great. Can you post a link to the video?

Comment

Good stuff! Glad you got one.

Comment

Attaboy TD! Heckuva story and heckuva buck! Congrats on checking off one of your "buck"etlist items.

Helluva shot for 176 BPM too..

Good on Jack too for letting you use one of his sets after yours went south..

Comment

Thats AWESOME, congrats on a heck of a deer !!!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X