Food plot questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plot questions

I just got on a deer lease and am planning on planting Durana clover. I know I'm late on planting but hoping to plant in September. Question is do I need to spray the area before I disc with a weed killer or what should be my first step? I'm completely new to this. Thanks in advance guys

I like to spray everything because in Sept you will still have warm season weeds/grass growing. You do not need to disc at all for planting clover. That seed is so small it will work to the perfect depth after a good rain. That's how I have always planted my Durana and it turns out great.

Comment

Thanks bud. Any suggestions on when and what to spray?

Comment

Round-up (or generic Glyphosate 41%) will kill everything in the plot. Usually a week or two before your plant so you know what kind of kill you got. I have always planted Durana in mid-end Sept when rains are coming.

Durana won't give you great initial growth this fall. It will grow some and the deer will eat it...but its mainly laying down its root system so it can explode the next spring. It can last 3-5 years if you mow it a couple of times in the spring and keep the grasses killed once they invade the plot.

Comment

Ok thanks bud I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
          X