Hold em

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold em

What is the best way to hold deer on my land.i have 108 acers with good timber mostly oak trees three spring fed ponds and a good pack of doe.my problem is I get a few nice bucks every year for the past three years that I have hunted the place but they always seem to hang around for a few weeks and then there gone.i know I need a food plot just don't have the funds any suggestions.

Water, water, water

Comment

I got plenty of that

Comment

A sanctuary and food plots. Big bucks have to have a place they can go without any human pressure. That's what works for us. But all bucks are going to travel no matter what you do

Food plots aren't that much. Do just an ac inside or close to a tree line.

Comment

What type of food plot would you recommend without having to use lime I hunt a old road in the woods would a throw and grow work my dad told me to use rape and just throw it on the ground no disking or tractor work

Comment

If your going to do food plots do them right. Soil sample and see what it needs. Plant a good quality seed and watch the magic happen.

Comment

108 acres will never "hold" deer IMO. They might spend a lot of time there if you turn it into an all you can eat buffet for them. But when November comes, all bets are off and they are going to roam. One of the farms that I hunt is 118 acres and I have 4 feeders (protein and corn) running year round. From September through December I corn the roads once a week with approximately 100 lbs. Last year our neighbor killed the biggest buck that's been seen on the place. A wide 8pt. That's just part of the deal. If you have a shooter, your best bet is to gettem early.

Comment

Originally posted by rconn View Post
                A sanctuary and food plots. Big bucks have to have a place they can go without any human pressure. That's what works for us. But all bucks are going to travel no matter what you do

Food plots aren't that much. Do just an ac inside or close to a tree line.

This man nailed it! A sanctuary with a feeder and a food plot. Feeder needs to be right on the edge. 25 acres of the thickest stuff on the place is enough if it has enough understory. Do not hunt this area, don't scout it, don't drive through it, Don't go in it for any reason except to trail a buck. When the hunting pressure gets on, it will fill up with MATURE bucks. Believe me , they know where people don't go.

Hunt deer coming and going from the sanctuary. I have done this for years. Amazing that I actually have more bucks than does in these honey holes.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                  108 acres will never "hold" deer IMO. They might spend a lot of time there if you turn it into an all you can eat buffet for them. But when November comes, all bets are off and they are going to roam. One of the farms that I hunt is 118 acres and I have 4 feeders (protein and corn) running year round. From September through December I corn the roads once a week with approximately 100 lbs. Last year our neighbor killed the biggest buck that's been seen on the place. A wide 8pt. That's just part of the deal. If you have a shooter, your best bet is to gettem early.
                  I somewhat disagree.... You can "hold" them in daytime if the pressure is heavy on neighboring property. You are right that some will be killed by neighbors though. I had a high 180s last year in my sanctuary that no one knew existed except me. A young girl killed him opening morning of rifle season. just across the fence. They were shocked when he walked out.

Comment

if u plant yr round food plots like Rye Grain in the winter and iron clay in the summer, you can hold bucks (almost) yr round. Older Dominate bucks will take the most does and the older bucks will stay 85% of the yr. U will have to have 10% of the land in food plots and the rest in heavy cover. If u price the seed it is minimal and can be done for less than u think. So think what you can do to save your money up. And then spend it where it is needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X