Campout Meatloaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campout Meatloaf

When I was in the Boy Scouts, one of my favorite meals was Meatloaf because we were given the opportunity to make it "our own way." This is a super easy fix and is great even at home. The preparation options are almost endless and since each portion is made individually, each one can be different.

First you will need a heat source. This can be a campfire, grill or oven (400*F for 40-50 minutes).

The rest is as follows, but I'll give you the basic idea and you can create your very own personal favorite and add it to this post if you'd like.

Ingredients and material needed:
    -Foil
    -Ground meat of your choice
    -What ever seasoning you'd like; season to taste
    -Cubed raw potatoes, carrots, chopped onions, mushrooms, etc
    -Tomato sauce (if so desired)

Preparation directions:
    Season ground meat to your preference in a bowl, mixing the seasoning in thoroughly and finally form the meat to a ball or "loaf" shape. Next prepare any vegetables you would like to have with your meal. Tear a sheet of foil off about 14" long. Place the seasoned meat in the center of foil sheet along with the vegetables you chose. Fold the foil until the corners match and roll them together down to the ingredients. Then flatten the ends and roll them to the ingredients. Tear another piece of foil and place the package with the seam down on the new sheet of foil. Fold the new sheet in the same manner as the first. This creates a package that shouldn't leak much juice. Now you're ready to cook!

When using a camp fire without a grill, rake out a nice bed of coals next to the fire and place the packages on them. Be sure to add more coals after a while. If using an oven, you might place the packages on a cookie sheet with sides, to catch any leaks and keep from having to scrub out the oven!

When done, cut the top side of the foil (be cautious of the steam!), long ways and fold back the sides. You should have a foil bowl, full of wonderful grub. Dig in and enjoy!

Originally posted by head View Post
    When I was in the Boy Scouts, one of my favorite meals was Meatloaf because we were given the opportunity to make it "our own way." This is a super easy fix and is great even at home. The preparation options are almost endless and since each portion is made individually, each one can be different.

First you will need a heat source. This can be a campfire, grill or oven (400*F for 40-50 minutes).

The rest is as follows, but I'll give you the basic idea and you can create your very own personal favorite and add it to this post if you'd like.

Ingredients and material needed:
    -Foil
    -Ground meat of your choice
    -What ever seasoning you'd like; season to taste
    -Cubed raw potatoes, carrots, chopped onions, mushrooms, etc
    -Tomato sauce (if so desired)

Preparation directions:
    Season ground meat to your preference in a bowl, mixing the seasoning in thoroughly and finally form the meat to a ball or "loaf" shape. Next prepare any vegetables you would like to have with your meal. Tear a sheet of foil off about 14" long. Place the seasoned meat in the center of foil sheet along with the vegetables you chose. Fold the foil until the corners match and roll them together down to the ingredients. Then flatten the ends and roll them to the ingredients. Tear another piece of foil and place the package with the seam down on the new sheet of foil. Fold the new sheet in the same manner as the first. This creates a package that shouldn't leak much juice. Now you're ready to cook!

When using a camp fire without a grill, rake out a nice bed of coals next to the fire and place the packages on them. Be sure to add more coals after a while. If using an oven, you might place the packages on a cookie sheet with sides, to catch any leaks and keep from having to scrub out the oven!

When done, cut the top side of the foil (be cautious of the steam!), long ways and fold back the sides. You should have a foil bowl, full of wonderful grub. Dig in and enjoy!

When I was in Scouts, we did that too... except without the tomato sauce... we called it hobo stew...

Comment

we usually substituted the sauce for ketchup after it was cooked.

Comment

Going to have to try this.. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Mix in some pan sausage with the ground meat for a liittle extra flavor.

Comment

There ya go Bigfootwolff!

I like to chop the onion pretty small and mix it into the meat. Then I like to flatten out the mixture like pizza dough and sprinkle Monterrey Cheese on it. Roll it all up together and you have a cheesy meat roll!

Comment

I printed this out.. This is better than wrapping sausages in tin foil and thowing them into the campfire coals.

Comment

sounds great thanks

Comment

sounds good

Comment

Cooked it last weekend,pretty tasty!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X