Best Method for asking for permission to hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Method for asking for permission to hunt

What is the best method for asking for permission to hunt on someone else's land? A letter, phone call, or knocking on doors? And what would you say?

Knock on the door.

Comment

“Have you heard that deer are transmitting COVID to humans?”

Comment

I would start with, "I am willing to pay (fill in your budget) to hunt your property" From there, you're on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayek'sPupil View Post
          What is the best method for asking for permission to hunt on someone else's land? A letter, phone call, or knocking on doors? And what would you say?
          Perhaps a letter first, then a knock on the door... I am usually better conveying my thoughts in writing first. Allows them time to absorb what I am asking rather than the fight or flight response getting hit at the door and automatically judging you as a solicitor and ready to send you packing. Maybe a well thought out letter gets ball rolling, then you follow up with in person meeting...

Based on that, maybe a follow up phone call or leave it alone

Comment

I'd knock first - then follow up from there. Test the relationship. That's an important factor in my opinion. Then start writing once you see there could be a possible future.

Comment

Knock, and offer help on the land before payment. Most large property owners are older and would prefer help around the place rather than money.

Comment

Introduction and hand shake and sir.

Comment

Give me the addresses you're thinking of and I'll go break the ice for you[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Seriously, I would simply visit them and ask permission in a gentle way without being too aggressive. Don't beat around the bush either tho. If you come across as afraid to ask it can seem as though your up to something. Be straight forward but not arrogant.
                  Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I start with a phone call and ask about if the family allows hunting, then mention trespass fee if necessary. I always follow with I would like to come out and meet you face to face.
                    We have it good up here, being residents gets your foot in the door most times, not sure how it is down that way.

I always ask about the game numbers I'm interested in hunting.

I had a whitetail tag for eastern Wyoming a few years back and made some calls. Seems they were having a EHD issue over there and numbers were down, one landowner told me we could come on out but their family members hunting hadn't seen much.
                    I told them no use and trying to shoot your last whitetail and I would just eat the tag. That got me access for any year after, they really appreciated my attitude.

I know a landowner that really liked getting a letter first then a phone call from a NR, he granted access after talking with the hunter.

Respect goes a long way.

Comment

Been doing it all my life, rarely pay to hunt anywhere. Face to face always best with phone call second only if you cant do ftf. Never a letter, probably wont even get read.

Comment

In East Texas we just ask for forgiveness

Comment

Best… build a relationship. If that don’t fit the time frame show up with checkbook and add zeros until you get the answer you want

Comment

I found Alberta incredibly fun and maybe you take something from my experience

On major difference is that a private land owner cannot take compensation from you for hunting privileges. The other a land owner grazing federal lands cannot decline hunters without a valid reason (I am already full, not this month until I get cows moved, etc).

We bought maps (now can use app) can found land owners of desirable property in the offseason, as we tried to never show up in cammo during the season as we found folks generally like to get to know their guests. We would have pre copies of our drivers license, hunting license to give them if they showed interest. Additionally, we would inquire what they liked to drink. If they accepted we would show back up again during scouting season, armed with their fave drink (or anything else - fine chocolates, I even brought a 5 lb bag of flour once upon request). During season we made a point to again visit them at home, to provide them an update of our season, while providing another bottle of their fave drink.
                            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Knock on the door
                              Bring fresh oysters and shrimp from Matagorda

Comment

Working...
                              X