Why no 18650 trail cameras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no 18650 trail cameras?

As i have dove off the deep end building small solar external battery packs for my cameras this winter, i got to thinking about something i think the trail camera industry has REALLY missed the boat on.

I know that smaller and smaller has been the go-to for trail cam manufacturers. With the increased quality and availability of 18650’s, the comparatively high battery capacities available, and 500+ charging cycles with only 20% capacity loss…..

Why on earth haven’t the major camera brands offered an 18650 camera advertising reduced overall operating costs? Top of the line 3,500 milliamp hour 18650’s can be found for about $7 a piece. Cameras could easily be made in a 3 battery, or 4 battery configuration depending on what voltage the manufacturer runs the internals on. (Most boards are run somewhere between 9-12 volts)

In comparison to energizer ultimate lithium, which also run 3500mah, but at 1.5v, you could run 3 of the 18650’s ($7/per) versus 6 of the AA ($1.50/per). The AA’s would be running dead on 9V at full charge (it would take 8 non-lithium AA’s for this same voltage) and the 18650’s would be running 11.1v for the 3. That is a price disparity of $12 on the first set of batteries assuming a 6 battery AA setup, and only $9 assuming an 8 AA setup… and then never buying batteries for that camera again in it’s lifetime.

A set or two as spares for recharging at home plus a $10-15 charger and most guys could DRASTICALLY reduce their trail camera maintenance costs. Private land can always just add a big solar panel to reduce battery expenditures, but this isn’t always applicable to everyone who buys cameras.

This seems like a no-brainer to me…. Why hasn’t this been done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IkemanTX; 12-19-2021, 08:29 AM.

Probably due to the ease of acquiring AAs ….you can get them everywhere at any time.

Comment

The 18650 is a tad long to fit inside the existing "shell" of the smaller units. A slight redesign would be needed.
      Last edited by SJP51; 12-19-2021, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        Probably due to the ease of acquiring AAs ….you can get them everywhere at any time.
        That is probably the reason. If you were on the way to the lease, it is hard to stop by amazon.com and pick up some 18650s.

Even if you could find some in a package, they would probably have to be charged.

If the newer sized Li-Ion batteries commonly become available charged and ready to go, so will the cameras.

Comment

Too many average Joe's don't know what an 18650 is.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
            Too many average Joe's don't know what an 18650 is.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

That would be me

I found my new trail cam this season
            For $29.99 each I bought 8 new muddy cameras and I started them in July. Those cameras are taking, on avg, about 1200-1500 pics each per week and they are still going on the same set of 8 AA batteries
            Pics are great and they have worked without fail
            Don’t know how I can beat that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There are a lot of applications 18650s would do well in. For some reason it seems like manufacturers in the US don’t want to switch over like many overseas manufacturers have.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                That would be me

For $29.99 each I bought 8 new muddy cameras and I started them in July. Those cameras are taking, on avg, about 1200-1500 pics each per week and they are still going on the same set of 8 AA batteries

Dang. That’s great

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                  That would be me

I have 6 of those and couldn't be happier. Battery life and pic quality has been great.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you spot weld the nickel strip? What welder do you use and or recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      ¿Como?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Whatchu talking’ bout Willis?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          ¿Como?
                          Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                          Whatchu talking’ bout Willis?
                          OP mentioned making external rechargeable battery pack.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1NFbchHeM8"]DIY Battery Spot Welder - Demonstration & Explanation - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Comment

Even a 123A timer battery or the old 9v Lithium transistor radio battery would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X