CPAP or APAP users - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPAP or APAP users - Question

How long did it take you guys/girls to get comfortable with your machines and start sleeping better?

My sleep has been little to zero the last 9-10 years (wake up 10-20 times a night and the first 15-30 mins of every day felts like I am severely hungover/hit by a truck). I have exhausted every option I can think of including teas, medication, sleep studies, diet, mouth guards and etc. I received a APAP machine in February and I have yet to make longer than 3-4 hours through the night wearing it. Very uncomfortable is a massive understatement and when it takes away the little sleep I actually can get it I essentially do not want to wear it. In turn I would guess I have only worn it maybe 30-35 nights since I received it and probably have never strung together more than 4 nights in a row because it makes nights so miserable. I have changed mask three times and had the company remote change settings 2-3 times along with myself changing setting to try and help.

All that being said I am trying to see if I haven't even scratched the surface on the "trial" portion of this machine to really even have a idea on if it will work or not. Would love to be able to sleep again and be able to tackle days rested rather than exhausted and groggy day in and day out. However, if there is no solution it is what it is and just need to change my perspective and make due with what I get.

As always I appreciate the info and help.

Took no time to get used to it. Sleep great. It's really no big deal

Comment

Less than a week for me to get used to mine. I have used nasal pillows the entire time. Tried a different type this year and it leaked too much so back to nasal pillows.
      What machine do you have?
      What masks have you tried?

Comment

I struggled with my CPAP for close to a year. When my HS best friend died from apnea at the age of 40, I got plum serious about wearing it. I finally found a mask that I like and now I can't sleep without it. I think a lot of it is a mental thing. Here is the mask I use. Mirage Swift.
        Attached Files

Comment

i've had my cpap for 4 months. I still hate it, but use every night. I wake up every morning with it taken off, but even if its only on for a few hours, thats a few hours of better sleep. I'm going to give it a few more months, and if i can't get use to it, going to really look into Inspire Sleep.

Comment

A week...maybe. The first night I was like "I will never be able to sleep with this thing on". Now I can't sleep without it.

It really wasn't a big deal at all.

I had to wear the mask much tighter than the initial "setup" done by the doctors staff, but other than that its fine.

Comment

6 months of struggling, once I got 6 hours it was a life changer. Now I wont even try to nap without it.

Comment

I took one night. I woke up after my sleep study having slept 5 continuous hours and I felt so amazing. I begged the guy to let me take it home. I will not sleep one night without it. I have one I travel with so I cannot possibly leave it on a trip. Keep changing masks until you find one you like. Sleep on your back. Take medicine to knock you out for a week. Once you get over the mental thing, you will be addicted to the sleep you get with it on!

Comment

My best advice would be get past the question of "if this thing is going to work" and just accept sleeping with a CPAP is with you for the rest of your life. Sleep apnea will obviously kill you and you have a need for the machine. I feel like some guys get hung up kind of mentally "fighting" with it far more than it is really an issue.

You have to get past that mental hurdle first and accept it.

Second, contact your doctor and try a different kind of mask if need be. I use a full face mask by Resmed and like that style since I am a mouth breather due to a deviated septum. I have to wear it much tighter because I sleep on my side and that isn't going to change. It might be a mask issue for you.

Comment

I'm gonna be a little straight forward here.....this is not aimed at you or anybody here. It's what I have seen and dealt with from friends and family through the years and what I have said to coach them through.

It took me less than a week here in 2006 and I was sleeping like a baby. Hell the first night I was just happy to wake up without a headache or choking in the middle of the night. I felt like I was 18 again in 2006. Of course, I went in with the mindset that this will save my life and I'm not going to fight it. I wasn't in the mood to die so I made sure my attitude was right. If I woke up here and there, it's much better than what I had been doing with the apnea and snoring the past year plus. A good attitude about it has a much better chance of success than being a temperamental ***** resisting change and complaining about an air leak here or there, or being a little uncomfortable when I wasn't getting **** for sleeping in the first place. I have told my Dad, my brother and many friends to quit being a drama queen and check the resistance to change at the door, or we'll be burying you sooner than later. Just relax and it will come......and it has for those that took the right attitude.

I can't sleep without mine. I even have one in my living room in case I want to nap in my recliner.. Get the right attitude and it'll save your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      I'm gonna be a little straight forward here.....this is not aimed at you or anybody here. It's what I have seen and dealt with from friends and family through the years and what I have said to coach them through.

It took me less than a week here in 2006 and I was sleeping like a baby. Hell the first night I was just happy to wake up without a headache or choking in the middle of the night. I felt like I was 18 again in 2006. Of course, I went in with the mindset that this will save my life and I'm not going to fight it. I wasn't in the mood to die so I made sure my attitude was right. If I woke up here and there, it's much better than what I had been doing with the apnea and snoring the past year plus. A good attitude about it has a much better chance of success than being a temperamental ***** resisting change and complaining about an air leak here or there, or being a little uncomfortable when I wasn't getting **** for sleeping in the first place. I have told my Dad, my brother and many friends to quit being a drama queen and check the resistance to change at the door, or we'll be burying you sooner than later. Just relax and it will come......and it has for those that took the right attitude.

I can't sleep without mine. I even have one in my living room in case I want to nap in my recliner.. Get the right attitude and it'll save your life.
                      This ^^^^^. It took my buddy dying to get my head out of my arse and get serious with it. Dang it! I agreed with Smart again. Except I don't take naps.
                      Last edited by Goldeneagle; 10-28-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

I have had mine for about three months now, using the nasal pillows, and have really only started to feel comfortable in the last month or so. Even noticing the benefits early on, I still struggled to get used to sleeping in it. As posted above, I think it was mostly mental. Mine was not the life changing experience the first time I put it on , like I expected, but have definitely noticed the steady incremental improvements in my sleep. And the positive differences in the way I feel during the day. Not to mention the positive effects it has had on the quality of my wife's sleep!

Comment

It sounds weird -- but wear it while watching TV or use a lot of white noise while laying down. Once your mind is focused on something else, you will relax and let it work and your body will do the rest. My biggest issue at first was between my ears! The mental hurdle was my issue.

But like others, I can't nap without it now. I saw a huge benefit to my blood pressure once I started getting real rest.

The best advice - don't get discouraged. Everyone is different and you will find the option that works.

Comment

I have been using mine for over 5 years. For me, the full face mask works best, covers nose and mouth.
                            I tried several mask options, but didn't like them. At first, the thing was filling me up with air at night. Finally found out how to keep my tongue pressed to the top of my mouth to keep most of the air out of my stomach.
                            You also need to wash the sealing surface of the mask every morning with dish soap ( I use Dawn) to keep the oils from your face from deteriorating the seal material and causing leaks.
                            Fit and size matters too.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                              This ^^^^^. It took my buddy dying to get my head out of my arse and get serious with it. Dang it! I agreed with Smart again. Except I don't take naps.

Hahahahaha you're learning...

Originally posted by GS91 View Post
                              Not to mention the positive effects it has had on the quality of my wife's sleep!
                              Great point I forgot to add that in my previous post. It was a relationship saver as well. My wife's sleep improved as much as mine, as did her grumpiness...lol

Comment

Working...
                              X