HPBT for hunting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HPBT for hunting...

Not sure if this has been asked before - but does anyone have feedback on using HPBT for hunting deer and hogs? Been doing some research on .308 rounds and curious to hear from some trustworthy sources...not just the sniper forum guys...

Been using Berger VLD exclusively for about 15 years now they perform superbly

Comment

My .308 loves Hornady match 168 bthps and it seems devistating on big hogs

Comment

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^

Comment

I’ve killed a lot of sh*t with both Hornady 75 BTHP in 223 and 105 BTHP in 6 Creed. I’m a big fan of them for killing hogs and deer. They’ve served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by talleywack97 View Post
            My .308 loves Hornady match 168 bthps and it seems devistating on big hogs
            Are you shooting them in vital area? Shoulder? Head or neck?

Have a 308 that shoots FGMM pretty darn good, and have though about just using that. Typically run a soft point.

If close enough, it will be a neck shot, if not, center of the shoulder. If that makes any difference on performance.

Comment

I’ve killed a bunch of hogs with the Hornady 75 grain BTHP but I always shoulder shot them when possible. I’ve never used them on deer, but several coyotes have bit the dust because of them.

Comment

Originally posted by lwelch70 View Post
                Not sure if this has been asked before - but does anyone have feedback on using HPBT for hunting deer and hogs? Been doing some research on .308 rounds and curious to hear from some trustworthy sources...not just the sniper forum guys...
                I’ve gotten to where I load the 165 gr. Nosler Accubonds in both my .308 and ‘06. Although not as high a BC as the Berger or Eld-x, neither of those two are true long range guns for me. It performs well (less than MOA), isn’t as fragile as the ballistic tips I used to load 15 years ago, and will pass through even most bugger pigs.

Comment

I been killing hogs with 7.62 HP's for over a year! I used to be a hardcore SP guy, but 7.62 HP get the job done.

Killed 16 last weekend

Comment

I hunt with Berger 140 VLD. Bang flops everytime

Comment

I shoot 175gr SMK I have killed tons of hogs and deer at ranges from under 20 yards out to 600 they have never failed me yet

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                        I shoot 175gr SMK I have killed tons of hogs and deer at ranges from under 20 yards out to 600 they have never failed me yet

This is what I am currently using as well. Hogs don’t like em but I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

SMK's have filled my freezer many a year before I started using Noslers and Barnes. Those old Sierra MK's been around longer than me and that's a while. I will still use them without hesitation.

Comment

My brother loves his sierras for his .308, I believe they’re 165’s?

I’ve killed several elk with 7mm/.284 165 Sierra HPBT. I prefer Berger’s for HPBT’s though.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                              My brother loves his sierras for his .308, I believe they’re 165’s?

I’ve killed several elk with 7mm/.284 165 Sierra HPBT. I prefer Berger’s for HPBT’s though.
                              .308 165 sounds like a game king. 168 would be a SMK or TMK. The SMK is a HPBT in terms of design.

Comment

Working...
                              X